1997 - 2003 F-150

Wrong title info

Old 10-06-2018, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wrong title info

My son in-law just picked up a 1997 f150, he got the title back and noticed by the title its a 6 cyl, its not its a V8. Title also says its 2WD, it in fact a 4X4. we think someone may have switched the vin plate, the title matches the vin on the door and windshield. we called the local police and they said the vin matched and was good, but we think the #s was changed. We have looked for a vin # on the frame but haven found any, we would like to find them to see if the vehicle is good or not. The truck doesn't look like it had been disassembled but it is possible someone changed out cabs from one to another. On car fax, using the vin the mileage also went from 220k to 136k.
Thanks Russ

Old 10-06-2018, 03:05 PM
glc
Received 755 Likes on 701 Posts
You need to deal with law enforcement and/or insurance companies to research the "hidden" VIN locations.

8th position in the VIN identifies the engine.

2 = 4.2 V6
6 or W = 4.6 V8
L = 5.4 V8

Old 10-06-2018, 03:18 PM
The local cops said its ok, but they only checked the door and windshield. The vin 8th digit is 2, which stands for a V6, but its a V8, like I said I think someone swapped vin plate, or took the cab off of a v6 model and dropped it onto this V8 4x4 chassis. They want $150 for inspector to come out, but they deal with salvage rebuilds and custom cars. If this is a hot truck we don't want to loose any more than we have to. If I have to, I will jack up the cab to see the entire length of the frame and try to find it that way, , I have looked at the RF around the suspension and down the rt side under the cab, and haven't found it yet. Somebody knows where they are.

Old 10-06-2018, 03:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
How do you know it wasn't just a homebrew creation? There are folks on here that have converted their v6 4x2 to a v8 4x4. It's not hard to do if you know what you are doing.

AND it's not illegal as long as it passes inspection.

Does the truck work? If so, I wouldn't worry about it for a 1997.

Old 10-06-2018, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
How do you know it wasn't just a homebrew creation? There are folks on here that have converted their v6 4x2 to a v8 4x4. It's not hard to do if you know what you are doing.

AND it's not illegal as long as it passes inspection.

Does the truck work? If so, I wouldn't worry about it for a 1997.
that’s what were thinking it is, a homebrew is you might put it. But we want to make sure that this wasn’t something a little bit more on the shady side and in Georgia they have to have an omissions inspection so we would like to know before we go up and try to get it inspected. We know it needs a fuel pump, battery just to get it running. But before we spend money for fuel pump battery tires insurance etc. we want to know what we have.

Old 10-06-2018, 05:14 PM

Also, the 97-98 m/y has a mechanical odometer. So who knows if the gears aren't funky on it or someone just didn't play the old drill trick, or it's cluster isn't from another truck.

What it sounds like you have is a frankintruck. Parts taken from the good old junkyard u-pullit to make it work. Nothing wrong with it, but the seller should inform the buyer, but they don't have to if they are selling it as-is.

Here in New Yorkistan, on the back of the title when you go to transfer it, there's a box to check, something like you know the odometer isn't right. Not all states have this...

Old 10-06-2018, 06:10 PM
The speedo went from 220k + to 136k, its marked exempt on the title, but car fax is where we got that info. I don't care about being a montage of trucks, just making sure its on the up and up. I'm going to find out if we can scan the PCM and find the VIN # that way.

Old 10-06-2018, 06:54 PM

Problem is, the PCM might have a totally different VIN# all together.

Back in the 97-98 m/y range, it was easy to ***** nilly swap things in the shady mechanic style. There was no PATS (passive anti-theft system, or chipped keys).

Older vehicles are so easy to mess with, especially ones that many people fix over and over and over again. You know like that old saying: Too many hands in the cookie jar.

In NY, we really don't have too much of an issue with that, only because we live in a rust belt, and no one likes messing with rusty junk. Well, unless they have a LOT of time on their hands.

Down in your neck of the woods, a 97 pickup will not rust for a very long time, unless you live close to the ocean.

Old 10-06-2018, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by ManualF150
Problem is, the PCM might have a totally different VIN# all together.

Back in the 97-98 m/y range, it was easy to ***** nilly swap things in the shady mechanic style. There was no PATS (passive anti-theft system, or chipped keys).

Older vehicles are so easy to mess with, especially ones that many people fix over and over and over again. You know like that old saying: Too many hands in the cookie jar.

In NY, we really don't have too much of an issue with that, only because we live in a rust belt, and no one likes messing with rusty junk. Well, unless they have a LOT of time on their hands.

Down in your neck of the woods, a 97 pickup will not rust for a very long time, unless you live close to the ocean.
That's my point, a different vin in the PCM will cause issues with the emission test, plus , if we get it running and then if the vin comes back as a stolen vehicle, we are out a lot more money . If I can find the vin before we spend more cash are just out of a few hundred. if we find out its OK, then we will be fixing the truck. I might bring my truck up to your area when I sell it, 01 F250 7.3 4x4 Crew lariat, with NO RUST. it has just now got over 115k, have had it for 15 years now.

Last edited by russk81; 10-06-2018 at 09:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-06-2018, 11:05 PM

I guess you'll find out.

In any event, where I live, these wannabe farmer/hick kids love their diesel trucks... I bet you could pass that 01 F250 you mention off for $35k or more in my area. No lie.

I don't know where they get the money from, then again, you look at their house and everything else, and they got $50k sunk into their 20 year old diesel truck sitting in their yard, and the priorities then become clear... lol

Heck, I've been looking in a few years to get a new truck, and I can't even choke down spending $25k for something. Plus, I like my current truck.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:21 AM
I would deliver it for that, and buy dinner.

Old 11-14-2018, 04:33 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
My V10 4x4 thinks it's a 2001 F250 6.8 4x2. I have passed emissions tests in AZ, but they did need to have a supervisor come override something because the VIN on the door and dash does not match the one in the PCM. I tell them I had to swap computers and I'm on my way. I omit that I also swapped an engine that Ford never installed in this chassis.

I think someone swapped your cabs. Personally, I wouldn't worry about. If you hold the title that matches the VIN on the windshield and door, you own that truck and someone would have to sue you to get it. How would that person even know? Scan your PCM? Look at the frame of every 97-03 F150 for their VIN?

Old 11-15-2018, 07:29 PM
Not too hard to check the engine & trans Vin. What have you found?? No replys in a month...

Old 11-30-2018, 06:16 PM
Must be in prison by now??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wrong title info