1997 - 2003 F-150

Torque converter rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 10:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Torque converter rattle?

When i turn the truck on in the mornings, when its cold, there is a loud constant knock which when im under it, sounds just like its coming from the torque converter, im not vwry motor literate from the inside of the motor so not sure how to turn crank to move bolt to the hole so i can tighten it, idek if it needs tightened. But when i look at the torque converter, i noticed small dings ands scratches in the metal which could be the knock im hearing, any tips to help, heres the pic

Old 04-03-2018, 07:35 PM
That picture is of the bell housing. there is a mostly flat plate that covers the bottom of the flywheel at the front of the bell housing. You can remove this plate by 4 screws so you can look at the flywheel. The plate is an inspection cover for looking at the clutch if the truck was equipped with a manual transmission. You have an automatic, but the cover is still used, and you might find joy in removing the cover to see what is inside.

As for turning the engine by hand. at the front of the crankshaft, there is a pulley with the serpentine belt going around it. You can use a socket with a long breaker bar to turn the engine by hand. You can turn it more easily if you go to the trouble of taking the spark plugs out, but removing the spark plugs is not a requirement. It helps, but you don't _have_ to do it. You can turn the crank, or have a helper turn it, and look through the inspection hole that you took a picture of.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:23 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
That *IS* the inspection hole with the cover removed. The cover is just a rubber plug.

Old 04-03-2018, 09:56 PM
Automatic

This is an automatic transmission, i play on taking the cover off but at the top it looks like the cover is jammed behind or welded behind the transmission
im just curious what those tick marks are

Quick Reply: Torque converter rattle?