1997 - 2003 F-150

Startup Sequence issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 08:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Startup Sequence issues

I have this 2001 F150, 4x4, extended cab, XLT Lariat, 5.4l, automatic I picked up in November 2016. when you start the truck, the only lights in the cluster that illuminate are the seatbelt, airbag and battery, then these go out and about 3 seconds later the brake light illuminates, then it goes out, then another 2-3 seconds later the gauges finally actuate, then the odometer illuminates. These are the only lights then that work in the cluster except the hi-beam and turn signals. The accessory items the lights represent work (i.e. cruise works, but light in cluster does not; same with 4x4) but the light in the cluster does not. Here is what I have tried.

I tried replacing bulbs in the cluster itself to start with but that did not change anything.

I then tried a different cluster. Had it flashed, but experienced the same startup sequence issue.

Now I have pulled the Fusebox and GEM module and checked the contacts and connections. No sign of any moisture or corrosion on any of them. Cleaned them up and reinstalled and no change.

When I bought the truck it had the wrong headlight switch. Whenever truck was running the headlights were on, regardless of position of switch (off/on/auto). The truck does NOT have daytime running lights. This incorrect switch had caused a majority of the dash light bulbs to be burned out (4x4 selector, air bag, A/C controls, dome,...), I replaced bulbs in all of the these and with the switch change all that has been resolved.

I just cannot figure out where or what to look for now to try and resolve this. I am concerned that one day it's just not going to start if something finally gives. Plus I'd really like to have the lights working, like the 4x4 and cruise, oil pressure and check engine. I'm one of these that feels if a vehicle has a function then it should work I guess. I am toying with replacing the GEM given it has such a large role in all of this, but it seems typically when the GEM is bad it makes things go a little haywire, whereas on this everything works as it should, just no lights in the cluster.

Anyone experience anything similar? Any ideas to try? Thanks.

Last edited by JcMac1015; 10-25-2017 at 10:25 AM. Reason: resolved issue but have one slightly different
Old 10-24-2017, 03:46 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Courtesy bump.