1997 - 2003 F-150

Truck stalls after restart when shifting into drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck stalls after restart when shifting into drive

Sure hope someone can help with this dilemma. My husband has a 2001 Ford F150 4.6L V8. He has recently started having this issue:

He drives approximately 20 miles with no issues. He turns off the truck, goes into a store, comes back out, and cranks/starts the truck. The truck cranks/starts fine and when in park or neutral it idles fine. The minute he puts it into gear it stalls but does not cut off. He throws it back into neutral, revs up the motor, puts it back into drive, and it still will not go. After doing this 2 - 3 times then it will finally accelerate and run fine after that. He is not getting any error codes, no check engine light, nothing. The fuel pump was replaced summer 2016. It is an intermittent issue. Any idea as to what the cause of this could be?

Old 08-12-2017, 08:51 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I suggest checking the fuel pressure even though it has a fairly new pump. Clean the MAF and make sure the intake tube between the MAF and throttle body is connected properly. I'm sure there could be many other things to check. One of our real mechanics will chime in soon hopefully.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:26 PM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
The Idle is controlled solely by the Intake Air Controller from inputs of other sensors to the computer.
At cranking the IAC is opened by the computer for high idle then closes as needed for the temperature conditions present.
When trans goes into gear, the trans converter loads the motor and tries to change the Idle speed lower.
The IAC must react by opening to admit more air to keep the idle up to prevent stalling.
If the engine stalls trying throttle up, this indicates a fuel issue because you are forcing air due to manual throttle. The IAC now has no control over manual opening.
First thing I would do is put a Scanner on and look at the cylinder head temperature reading.
The combination of the CHT and IAT determine the fuel injection richness along with Ignition timing and the open IAC.
If there is a fault in these actions, things don't go smoothly and transparent.
The crank sensor plugup may be movement sensitive.
If this circuit goes open, nothing works.
Bottom line is you need deeper diagnostics and check out to solve the issue because there is a lot more to all this.
There won't necessarily be any codes set.
Good luck..

Old 08-15-2017, 08:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to each of you for your suggestions. We will give an update once we've had a chance to try these and let you know the outcome.