1997 - 2003 F-150

2003 F-150 Questions inside 👇🏻

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by enriched
Years ago, my folks went to Alaska in a 77' f250 back in the early 80's, with a slide in camper in the bed. & did everything, as far as , "preventive maintenance " much like you are doing, which is very good!! Dad even took oil and filters along to change along the way. If I recall correctly he put on about 8800 miles that trip, so he changed oil & filters twice! He just disposed of the oil at truck stops or waited til they got back. So if your coming from the east coast...you could feasibly nearly double the amount miles. Depending how far you get into Alaska.

The next biggest/best thing that they did that saved them from on the road costly repairs was a spring loaded net like thing that extended about 10-12 inches above the hood and full width of the truck. It was mounted in front of the grill so it helped to protect the headlights and radiator and windshield. If you get off the beaten trail a bit you will be happy that you have it. Dad said that without it, they probably would have needed to replace at least 2 or 3 radiators and windshields. The road rock is not small up there, (at that time anyway & 2-3" rock was small), and the on-coming Semi's would scatter and throw the rocks everywhere. Maybe a good grill guard or heavy bumper combo will maybe do it today? Also a good set of mud flaps.

Are you pulling a camper?
Im not pulling a camper. Thought about pulling a 5x8 enclosed but that's more gas. So I'm gonna get a bed cap/camper. I definitely will do the spring net,,, but not sure what it looks like??? Can u post a pic of what your suggesting?

Old 07-14-2017, 09:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by enriched
Oh I'm sure that it is...a heavy duty bumper and grill guard still could not hurt....the moose and elk and whatever else that might wander out in front of you can still really make a mess. The spring loaded net still might not be a bad thought , as it helped keep the bugs off the windshield too....and if the OP gets off the beaten trail, those roads probably will still have similar road rock.
i have a small winch bumper. I'll prob add on to widen it. I'm almost done with advanced welding school so that should be fairly easy to add on.

Old 07-14-2017, 12:58 PM
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Be careful how much weight you add to the front end with a bigger bumper and winch. The oil companies down here learned quick not to add much at all to the front end. It wasn't long and the front ends were having issues with parts wearing out. The front end is not designed to carry additional weight like the rear. I'd limit the weight to 100lbs or less. Some of the add on bumpers can exceed that by a lot and that's with no winch. Even the Super Duties have issues with too much weight on the front end from some these grossly overbilt bumpers. The bumper of choice these days for the oil trucks is well casing, usually 8", capped and welded at each end with a quick disconnect like you'd find on a compressor welded in. They carry hose and a tire chuck and plug into the bumper for compressed air. Most carry 125lbs of air in the bumper. Comes in handy for all kinds of reasons, obviously, flat tires. Some of the trucks have the air bumpers front and rear. When yer offroad, you can't have too much air.
'

Old 07-15-2017, 08:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rcmbsc
Im not pulling a camper. Thought about pulling a 5x8 enclosed but that's more gas. So I'm gonna get a bed cap/camper. I definitely will do the spring net,,, but not sure what it looks like??? Can u post a pic of what your suggesting?
It is "kinda like this....but there was a gap between the netting and grille. It mounted to the front of the bumper.
https://www.4statetrucks.com/images/01-120701_n.jpg

There is also some similar products that drape in-between the tow vehicle and trailer.
https://tse1.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.O...r=1.25&pid=1.7

http://rockgard.com/

I think that if you got a nice grille guard and attached some netting of some kind on the front of the guard it would be good today. Like other mentioned most of the roads are better today then 30-40 years ago

Be careful how much weight you add to the front end with a bigger bumper and winch. The oil companies down here learned quick not to add much at all to the front end. It wasn't long and the front ends were having issues with parts wearing out
well up north we hang snow plows on the front and yes they add stress to the front suspension components. But nothing that can't be over come. But yes too much is weight on a consistent basis is hard on it. Also consider that the drivers of the oil field service trucks probably didn't care how fast they drove on marginal road conditions or what they might bump or run into.

Last edited by enriched; 07-15-2017 at 09:05 AM. Reason: more