1997 - 2003 F-150

Gas Gauge Getting Stuck

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas Gauge Getting Stuck

I just got this truck a few weeks ago and still getting to know it. So far I've only made short trips in it but now it's adding up to quite a few. I noticed on the last couple of trips the gas gauge stopped going down around just above the halfway mark. It would go below half if I made a turn, etc sometimes but would still work its way back up. I knew this truck wasn't getting mpg in the 20s so got worried about a stuck gauge.

Tonight I started it up and the gauge went down to between 1/4 and half.

Going by my calculations that was about right, which also indicate the truck is getting from 11-13 mpg. Is that about right for a 98 with 237,000 miles and being bone stock?

I think this truck sat for some time before I bought it. Do you think maybe it just needs to be used more and get things flowing again? Or do I need a new sending unit?

If so should I just get a new fuel pump and everything as they are mainly sold together? Any brands to stay away from? Motorcraft is out of the question expensive!

Old 05-03-2017, 11:35 PM
glc
Received 760 Likes on 704 Posts
That mileage isn't unusual.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the input. Only thing I had to go by was internet research which I did before buying it. I didn't mention it but this is the second time this exact thing has happened. It first happened when I first bought the truck and the gauge said 3/4 full. When it got down to half it stayed forever at half until I cranked it up one night and boom it was at just above 1/4. That's when I put $20 worth in it ($2/gallon here) so was able to go by my calculations of miles driven vs gallons used, roughly.

At least I have some mile measurements to go by now as I drive it for a while to see how things go, so I don't run out of gas.

I have no problem dropping the tank and changing the unit (after all else I've been through with it so far), the concern is with getting a new pump. I don't know if this is the original pump and might be something bulletproof that's going to go for 200,000 more miles or was it changed at some point? Putting a new one in might screw that up.

Last edited by MrXLT; 05-04-2017 at 12:16 AM.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:37 PM
Well I've done a lot of research and got a lot further than I thought I would within a few hours. I've decided on a Delphi pump/sender assembly that's a reasonable price from Rockauto.

Thanks for what info you gave me glc. I appreciate your responses.

Old 05-05-2017, 11:58 AM
Does anyone know what kind and size (if any) fuel line disconnects there are so I can buy the tools for them?