1997 - 2003 F-150

Shift Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 11:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shift Problem?

Hello all.
I have a 2000 F150 with the 5.4 Triton. A few weeks ago I was getting the codes for Lean Left and Right Banks so I began to trouble shoot them. Did not find any vacuum leaks going into the intake the only leak was on the Fuel Pressure Regulator. I spliced that. Cleaned the MAF sensor, no dice, then changed it, no dice. Went to check the Fuel pressure and when the engine ran for about 30 minutes the pressure would drop and back to sputtering and would die. Come to find out the Airtex Fuel Pump I had put on it in Jan of 2013 (along with a filter change) had died a sloooow death. I replaced it yesterday with a Delphi pump and it started right up and idled well for the next 45 minutes, then came time to drive it. I drove it home and at about 50mph it seemed to shift and stuttered a couple times as the rpms dropped a few hundred. Did not put much thought in it as it did not die and went right back to running well. Today it did the same stutter but only once while I was on the highway at 55pmh. Any thoughts on what this could be? Would resetting the computer fix/help this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

Old 09-07-2015, 12:37 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
<p>Hi cigargod - welcome to the forum. I just deleted the other thread you started on this same subject. You were trapped by our &quot;spam filter&quot; so you didn't see the first post you made. I've approved you to make posts in the forum, so, hopefully, you'll start getting helpful responses now.</p><p>- Jack</p>

Old 09-07-2015, 11:37 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
Sounds like it may be time for new spark plugs.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:29 PM

you might trying clearing the PCM. I was having sputtering issues after shifting and did a tuneup...things got worse and I got the same codes as you. I cleaned the MAF sensor 2 days ago and the sputtering and CEL went away. I didn't clear the PCM yet because I didn't have the wire with clips that he mentions but the truck seems to be correcting itself...every drive is a little bit better. check out the video above...I think he tells you why you should clear the PCM in that video.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by cigargod
Hello all.
I have a 2000 F150 with the 5.4 Triton. A few weeks ago I was getting the codes for Lean Left and Right Banks so I began to trouble shoot them. Did not find any vacuum leaks going into the intake the only leak was on the Fuel Pressure Regulator. I spliced that. Cleaned the MAF sensor, no dice, then changed it, no dice. Went to check the Fuel pressure and when the engine ran for about 30 minutes the pressure would drop and back to sputtering and would die. Come to find out the Airtex Fuel Pump I had put on it in Jan of 2013 (along with a filter change) had died a sloooow death. I replaced it yesterday with a Delphi pump and it started right up and idled well for the next 45 minutes, then came time to drive it. I drove it home and at about 50mph it seemed to shift and stuttered a couple times as the rpms dropped a few hundred. Did not put much thought in it as it did not die and went right back to running well. Today it did the same stutter but only once while I was on the highway at 55pmh. Any thoughts on what this could be? Would resetting the computer fix/help this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you
Airtex pumps are absolute crap. I don't know about Deplhi. I'm surprised the Airtex made it this long. Yeah, they supply to the OEM, but not the same quality.

How many miles on on the plugs and coils? Are the plug boots in good shape? Any moisture in the plug wells? Air filter clean?

It sounds like the classic modular low grade misfire that happens when the EGR valve opens. You can reset the PCM if you like, but my bet is that you're having a misfire and the issue will return.

Old 10-05-2015, 03:45 AM
Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
At 55 mph you would be in Over Drive.
At light throttle the EGR operates and creates a lean air to fuel ratio.
This calls for high reserve voltage from the coils.
If one coil has shorted turns it's voltage is not up to level for this specific condition and would cause misfire or the studder you have.
I suspect you have a faulty coil on one cylinder.
This coil fault will not set a code because it comes and goes as not a hard fault.
The only way to find it in a short amount of time is use a good Scanner to either trap the cylinder with freeze frame data when it happens or look at mode 6, test 53. This shows you the misfire monitors counts for all cylinders.
The one with high count would be suspect for a coil change.
A coil in this condition can be temperature sensitive as that is what made it fail from heat cycling.
Good luck.

Last edited by Bluegrass; 10-05-2015 at 04:06 AM.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:28 AM
2004 ford f150 5.4l

I had a P0021 code come on on my 2004 ford f150 so i changed my sensor and code went away so i didnt mess with it no more till the next day when i started it up i had 2 more codes 1 was lean on bank one and cylinder 6 on the other side dead so i changed plugs and coil the codes will go away for 5 minutes then come back can someone help me narrow down the problem

Old 07-01-2020, 07:44 AM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
your stutter will NOT get better by itself.... Now you can "INDUCE" it to stutter enough to give you a cylinder number.. try starting off in 2nd gear NOT DRIVE...this will also create a high load situation. the MORE stutters you get the closer the ecm will be to diagnosing WHICH cylinder is missing. Sometimes it only takes 2 or 3 runs and BING CEL lights up....sometimes it might take a week. NOTE this is a time based diagnosis. The ecm will reset itself if NO MISFIRE occurs within XXXX minutes of running.

FYI....do NOT wash or clean this engine until you are ready to new plugs in it as this directly leads to misfires and a mess!!!!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED....lol

Last edited by Fbird; 07-01-2020 at 07:46 AM.
The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: Shift Problem?