1997 - 2003 F-150

power lock problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2015, 06:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
power lock problem

Hi, I have a 98 F150 and I have been trying to track down a solution to an annoying problem with my power door locks that happened a few months back. When I push the lock button on either door both doors lock as they are supposed to. The problem is when I push the door unlock button on either door and nothing happens. The doors do not unlock. Very annoying.
Both unlock switches stopped working at the same time so I am ruling out a problem at one of the switches. I suspect the relay is the culprit. From the information I have gathered through forums and youtube the descriptions of the location of this relay seem speculative and 'educated guesses'. From what I have read so far the most probable location seems to be somewhere behind the radio, maybe. If anyone has suggestions on location before I remove my entire dash looking for this relay I will be very thankful!

Old 07-14-2015, 07:15 PM
Do you have a remote? if so does it work? I can't tell you where the relay is as I don't have power locks on my truck. But if each side locks and unlocks bouth doores then thay are tied togather and one bad swich could disable the outher. When you push unlock listen for the relay.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:16 PM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
Fuse and relay locations are in your owner's manual. If you don't have one you can download it.

http://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandse...owner-manuals/

Old 07-14-2015, 09:54 PM
Thanks

Old 07-14-2015, 10:00 PM
Thanks, I have the same manual that is online. It does not have any detail on the relay I'm looking for.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:58 AM
i had similar problem...turned out to be the door lock actuator..about 60 bucks per door..not a bad install.

Old 02-18-2018, 07:39 PM
This may help

Originally Posted by knownspace
Hi, I have a 98 F150 and I have been trying to track down a solution to an annoying problem with my power door locks that happened a few months back. When I push the lock button on either door both doors lock as they are supposed to. The problem is when I push the door unlock button on either door and nothing happens. The doors do not unlock. Very annoying.
Both unlock switches stopped working at the same time so I am ruling out a problem at one of the switches. I suspect the relay is the culprit. From the information I have gathered through forums and youtube the descriptions of the location of this relay seem speculative and 'educated guesses'. From what I have read so far the most probable location seems to be somewhere behind the radio, maybe. If anyone has suggestions on location before I remove my entire dash looking for this relay I will be very thankful!
if your truck has a RAP. or a key pad to enter your truck. Then you will have relays. Under the oval on the dash. And with that said. You pop up the oval on top. And expose the relays. If they are not right there. They are just under the piece of metal holding the set of relays that you will see. These are the two spots they will be. If you don’t have a RAP or keypad. Then you will not have relays. You will need to change the door switches. And yes. If one goes out they both will stop working. Just as mine did. They would only lock ! Hopefully this will help some not spend so much time as I did figuring it out.

Old 02-18-2018, 09:16 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Hi Richard! This thread is about 4 years too stale. I'm sure the OP is on to bigger and better things.

Old 03-03-2018, 09:09 PM
Did you check the wiring inside the protective rubber going from the door sill to the door? I had the problem of only the driver side controls being able to control everything, but the three other doors were not working. My problem was that the wires in the protective rubber had broken, and splicing some new wiring fixed the issue.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by Blackspots
Did you check the wiring inside the protective rubber going from the door sill to the door? I had the problem of only the driver side controls being able to control everything, but the three other doors were not working. My problem was that the wires in the protective rubber had broken, and splicing some new wiring fixed the issue.

Please stop. You are telling a guy that's been locked out of his truck for 3 years what your problem was. And, your broken stuff is not the same as his broken stuff. His doors lock properly, they do not unlock.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:03 PM
Locks

Keep hitting the switches don’t stop till It starts to work just a contact Problem.

Old 06-01-2019, 01:45 PM
2011 F 150 Lariat: I have replaced the drivers side actuator motor 4 times now going through all of the steps including removing the fuse with no success.
With the motor out I am able to adjust the vents manually with no problem. With a new actuator motor I can here it move after fuse re set but always ends up on floor/ dash vent and can not change.
Anybody have any ideas on how to solve my problem?
Thanks

Old 05-05-2023, 10:52 PM
In some vehicles, the power door lock relay is typically located in the central junction box (CJB) or the fuse box. In older Ford F-150 models, the CJB is usually located under the dashboard on the driver's side. You may need to remove the lower panel or trim to access it. However, the exact location can vary, so it's essential to consult your vehicle's manual or look for specific information related to your year and model.

If you suspect the relay to be the cause of the problem, you can try swapping it with a similar relay from another function in the vehicle, such as the horn or headlights, to see if the door lock function is restored. If it is, then the relay is likely faulty and needs to be replaced.

If you are unable to locate the relay or if replacing it does not resolve the issue, it may be best to consult a professional mechanic or an automotive electrician who can diagnose the problem more accurately using specialized tools and knowledge.

Quick Reply: power lock problem