1997 - 2003 F-150

Header/Manifold Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 08:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Header/Manifold Question

Alright so I have owned my 99 F150 4.6 for about 3 years now. When I originally bought it, it had a minor exhaust leak on the driver side header, yes I got it with headers on it. It got to the point I couldnt stand the leak because it was slowly getting louder. So I replaced the gasket, about a year ago, and within 2 months the darn thing was leaking just like before. Since its a pain in the **** to change these gaskets with the motor in as a precautionary measure I ordered new headers and "performance" gaskets and put them on about 6 months ago. And now the driver side is leaking again.

So my question is has anyone had any issues like this with their f150 and if so what is the solution other than replacing the gaskets every 6 months. Its not that its a terribly hard job but it is very tight spaces. Thanks in advance for any input.

The only thing I can think of is I cant get a torque wrench in there to get them to spec and thats causing the gasket to not seal correctly.

Old 02-26-2015, 02:00 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've never had header issues in a F150 but I have in many other cars. Header bolts come loose thats a fact of life when you have them. Use locktight. Retorque as needed..

Quick Reply: Header/Manifold Question