1997 - 2003 F-150

Starting problems- starter/solenoid issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 07:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Starting problems- starter/solenoid issue?

After a few charges, I thought my battery had bit the dust a while back, so I replaced it. Ends up again today, the truck would not start. I had just been out doing errands with it. Turned it over, nothing. Put it in drive and back to park, same thing. Turned on the radio to see how dead battery was, music played, decided to try again and it fired right up. So what is the issue? It started fairly strong. No dash warning lights are on. It didn't make that clicking sound you sometimes hear with starter issues. Is it the starter anyways? Is there a solenoid on the inside fenders? Or is it on the starter? I don't think it would be the alternater. Don't really feel like wrenching on it in the cold weather, but now I don't trust where I'll end up some night with starting issues. Came home and fired it up to see, and it started again.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a bad connection at one of the terminals. Or connection at the starter. Corroded ground at the frame? I would inspect and every connection to the main battery harness. Just because the radio plays does not mean it has enough voltage to start/turn over so next time is it having that issue, voltage test the batter.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
clicking isnt a starter issue, its a dead battery

the solenoid is on the pax side firewall right by the battery, its under a black cover you have to lift up on to access.

go underneath the truck and check the connections. I've had to replace the terminal one my starter once.

Quick Reply: Starting problems- starter/solenoid issue?