1997 - 2003 F-150

pcv elbow collapsing

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pcv elbow collapsing

Was doing some routine checks around the truck yesterday after doing a coolant flush and noticed my pcv elbow was collapsed and pretty soft but no leaks. I happen to have another elbow laying around (lightly used) So I threw it on there. Popped the hood today to check the coolant level one last time and noticed the elbow was collapsed again. There seems to be a lot of vacuum in the line. It is not fully collapsed because when I pinch it to collapse it all the way, I can hear the pcv valve close. Valve is motorcraft and about 2 years old, working/seems fine. Is there something else that would cause the excessive vacuum on that line..? Oil level is fine. I have been noticing some knocking for about 30 seconds on cold start ups that I am a bit concerned about... Engine has only seen 5-20 semi and motorcraft filters and has around 30k on it now. Not sure if the cold start knocking has to do with whatever is going on in the pcv system or not. Any ideas? Maybe the elbow I had laying around is too old.. but seems in good condition.

My only thoughts are it may have some oil build up somewhere.. I have been running 5k changes. Might do a crankcase cleaning soon with auto rx and see if it helps at all.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Yea, it shouldn't do that. They did away with the elbow all together and used a pre-bent plastic hard line w/rubber straight connection later on.

Maybe it's just weak ? Did you get it from the dealership ? The dealership sells the PCV kit that comes with everything. It's not to bad on price, 39-59 bucks, - right in there somewhere. But yea, you get everything with the kit.

Old 06-25-2012, 10:51 AM
does anyone know the part number of the new hard plastic elbow? My elbow has torn and a search for pcv elbow on advance and pepboys has given me nothing.

Old 06-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Same thing happened on wire 03 expo it seems to be very common issue just brought part to ford and got replacement 35$.

Old 06-25-2012, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by c1t1d1
Same thing happened on wire 03 expo it seems to be very common issue just brought part to ford and got replacement 35$.
Did you get a part number when you got it? I dont live near a stealership and want to try and order if myself if possible.

Old 06-25-2012, 02:40 PM
I had to buy one in February, let me go see if the receipt is in the glove box.

Found it, P/N: YL3Z-6C324-B this is the line that goes from the PCV to the back of the intake under the TB. $36.48 from the dealer, they had to order it but it was there next day.

Last edited by My01SCrew; 06-25-2012 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Added part info
Old 06-26-2012, 09:06 AM
For some reason, my hose looks alot more bastardized than those. Does anyone else's look like this:

3 different hoses all meeting at what I assume is the pcv.

One of the hoses T's off again at this Y fitting. With one part going to the side of the intake, and the other going behind the firewall to the back of the intake.

Here at the side of the intake, 2 of those hoses that came off the pcv meet again here as well as a 3rd hose that snakes under the front of the plenum back towards the air filter box.

This looks way different than the simple pcv hoses assemblies I have seen pictures of here. I need to replace it as the area at the Y fitting developed a big ol tear.

Quick Reply: pcv elbow collapsing