1997 - 2003 F-150

Ruby's Transformation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 07:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by five0merc
Looks great man. Always liked how your truck looks. And always small tasteful mods your doing!!
Thanks! I try to put some thought into what I'm planning

Old 09-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ordered touch up paint

My daughter came home with another scratch. I have no idea how this one could have happened. I can't blame her. It looks like someone dropped something against the tailgate. I am glad I have been following this Ruby thread. I went to automotive touch up and ordered some paint. I considered ordering some paint to match the grey area of the bumper but wasn't sure how to do that. I assumed you used the 12 oz spray and clear coat. I would like to spray my black step bars silver to match my two tone too. Should I buy the paint & clear coat in the pint and take to a body shop or use 12 oz cans?

Old 09-05-2011, 07:11 PM
When I did my paint work I bought the spray cans in the base coat and clear. If you do your prep work correctly then spraying the step bars isn't too bad of a job. If you don't trust yourself or want a real professional job on them then I would suggest body shop.

If you paint them youself then scuff up the metal, spray a few coats of primer, few of base coat, then a few clear and you should be good to go

Old 09-09-2011, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the advice on the painting. My touch up paint should arrive next week from the place you recommended. I am still in awe over that wax job on Ruby. What do you use? I may work on my shine this weekend if the weather cooperates. I have a few other projects to tackle first. I want to see my black flare side with a deep shine like yours. Any advice you can give will be appreciated. Things have changed a lot since I detailed cars in college! I graduated in '84! SMM

Old 09-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Originally Posted by smmpa
Thanks for the advice on the painting. My touch up paint should arrive next week from the place you recommended. I am still in awe over that wax job on Ruby. What do you use? I may work on my shine this weekend if the weather cooperates. I have a few other projects to tackle first. I want to see my black flare side with a deep shine like yours. Any advice you can give will be appreciated. Things have changed a lot since I detailed cars in college! I graduated in '84! SMM
lol thanks ...I put a lot of effort into the paint job. The biggest thing for me is the polish. I use the Pinnacle advanced finishing polish with my DA. Especially with my metallic paint, it'll give me that deep, wet looking shine. I seal it up with the Meguiar's Gold Class wax. That will help with the shine too. If you've never done anything to the paint before, Meg's swirl remover may not hurt. It'll get rid of a lot of the holograms and little imperfections while bringing out some shine. I like it because its not overly aggressive and doesn't dig into the clear coat much. I don't use real aggressive products.

After I wash the truck (by hand), I dry it with one of those microfiber towels but I spray Meg's quick wax onto the wet truck and dry it off that way. Keeps the shine up and makes the wax coat last a little longer. I wax the truck enough anyway, I just do it for the shine.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:12 PM
I love thecanal picture, I grew up on the Cape and it brought back some cool memories.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:47 PM
I use Meg's products too. Great stuff. I never thought of using the quick wax while drying. Great idea. That will maintain a deep, wet look. I have never used the Pinnacle advanced polish. I may have to give it a try. Thanks. I'll be sure to post some pix when its done.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by cabinetdude
I love thecanal picture, I grew up on the Cape and it brought back some cool memories.
Thanks, yea I'm about 40 minutes away so its a quick ride. Always spent a lot of time down there

Originally Posted by smmpa
I use Meg's products too. Great stuff. I never thought of using the quick wax while drying. Great idea. That will maintain a deep, wet look. I have never used the Pinnacle advanced polish. I may have to give it a try. Thanks. I'll be sure to post some pix when its done.
You can get the Pinnacle line from Nick at Autogeek. He's always got discount promotions and info in the detailing section. I've always mainly used meg's though, great results with them without spending a fortune

Old 09-14-2011, 08:54 PM
Spent some time cleaning her up today, took a few pics

Old 09-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks good!!

Old 09-14-2011, 08:59 PM

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts
Imagine that with an L grille

Old 09-14-2011, 09:01 PM

I bet you could pull that Valence off too Phil

Old 09-14-2011, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by MTM Ford
Looks good!!
Thanks Matt

Originally Posted by TruckGuy24
I bet you could pull that Valence off too Phil
I like the look of the valance but I don't know if it'll look good because the truck is 4wd and sits so high. Not sure how a street truck valance would look on a 4wd

Old 09-14-2011, 09:10 PM

The Harley one looks good on Cyclone's truck

https://www.f150online.com/forums/tr...00-custom.html

Old 09-14-2011, 09:28 PM
That's true, I'd probably get away with the look of the Harley one better than the Lightning

Quick Reply: Ruby's Transformation Thread