1997 - 2003 F-150

Starter issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 11:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Starter issues

Ok i did do a search, but i need some info quick. I went to get gas today and went to start back up and all i could get was an audible click noise. My buddy showed up and we got it to start by jumping the solenoid on the starter. . . but he heard what i said wrong and shut it off. the wire going to the solenoid (the little one not the two that you would jump) is almost burned completely up and when i tried to jump the solenoid again i noticed the whole back/ inside of it would spin around.

so i know i need the new starter so i get a new solenoid, but what can i do with the wire? where does it go to, so i can replace it? I need this fixed NOW because the thing is dead in a gas station parking lot. is it likely that the solenoid grounded out because it can spin its insides? and this caused the wire to fry?? thanks for any help as im really in a pinch here!

97 f150 4.6 auto 4x4

Old 05-08-2011, 09:28 AM
Well i got the ol girl home this morning. But to get her started i had to run a battery cable from the hot post of the battery, to a screw driver and then jump the solenoid that way. When i tried just jumping the solenoid, i could bearly get any sparks or anything, so im thinking maybe a bad battery cable?? that and i know for sure the ignition wire (the smallest of the three posts on the solenoid) is bad and i need to run a new one.

It will be a couple hours before i go back out to mess with this, so if anyone has any ideas or suggestions before i start diagnosing this, i am all ears. if not, i will let you all know what i find to be the issue.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:58 PM
well, i just tore into it, and the end of the main power wire that goes to the solenoid was broken off. so i pulled the whole wiring harness that goes to the battery and the ground wires and all of them, and im just going to replace the whole harness since the original is pretty corroded up.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:29 PM
Similar problem

I am having similar problems with a 85 f150 that has been sitting for 4 years. The cable from the relay and the starter is heating up. Trying to get it home and work on it. Will crawl under and see if a problem with the cable or starter. Post your fix and it may help me. Good luck.
Thanks
carusle

Old 07-22-2011, 12:55 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
A hot wire is a sign of high resistance. You can try switching to copper low-loss cables or clean the contacts for a good connection

Quick Reply: Starter issues