1997 - 2003 F-150

Progress thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Coobies- I hope your saying that cause its red not cause its really dirty

Halverso- Thanks man. I've looked through your thread and like your truck as well.

Old 04-21-2011, 12:38 AM
Technical Article Contributor

raptor style lights look good

Old 05-18-2011, 12:05 PM
First off sorry its been awhile but my lifes been pretty crazy with finals and graduation. Heres whats been going on.

I got to drive my dream truck! So I took some pictures of it with mine.

Next I decided that I didnt like how dark my lights where so I took them to my auto-collision class and tinted them right. I used PPG clear with some black in it.

Here is the tail lights.

Here is the third brake light. I like how it blends.

Finally here is my head lights. I decided that I wanted them smoked so I didnt go to dark with my marker lights cause I thought they may look strange with them to much darker than the heads.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Now its time for some audio upgrades.

I was looking for some good speakers so I thought well kicker has always treated me right with subs so I guess Ill try your speakers so I bought the DS68.2s. (I have a Kenwood KAC 8404 powerin these now)

Well as you can tell these have tweeters so I had to cut holes for them in the doors. I must have spent 30 mins trying to make sure these were perfect before I actually cut into them.

Here is the front tweeters. When the doors are shut the drivers tweeter is pointed at the passenger and the passengers tweeter is pointed at the driver.

Here are the rear tweets.

I wanted to be able to control the DBs on the crossovers so I mounted them in the door pockets.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:18 PM
Well when I got home the night after I got my speakers in I found this waiting for me in the garage and it was labeled: HEAVY 105 POUNDS.

Well I don't know what happened but I was suppose to get the older model of box that looked like this:

Buutt.. I ended up getting the newer model that looked like this.

These are by far the best and hardest hitting subs I have ever had.. By far better than the two twelves and tens I had in before.

Old 05-18-2011, 12:24 PM
Next, I had three amps just sitting in my floor board and I didnt like that you could see all the exposed wiring so I got some cardboard and started planning. Here was my orginal design.

There are two Kenwood KAC-7204s(one for each L7) and a Kenwood KAC-8404 (for the door speakers)

Next I drilled holes for the wires the go through and added sides and carpet and tahh-dahh..

The next thing I have ordered is a Alpine CDA-105. Should be here thursday.

Random new stickers on the dashh. lol

Random question.. Think I would do very well in a competetion for sound?

Old 05-18-2011, 01:19 PM
Nice choice on the kicker's and the alpine deck! I love that deck and loved my kicker l7s until I sold them and moved on to a single 15 ha. As for competition sound you really would have to get in there and tune everything and probably would need to build a custom box so you can tune in the frequency for the subs.

Old 05-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Dang son rolling out the dough aint ya?

Old 05-18-2011, 04:10 PM
Pizzaman711- Thanks man. I really love the L7s. I have the loudest system in town.. But I also live in Missouri.. lol So you went to a L7 15? How do you like it? As for speaker boxes I think I may buy another L712 and make a fiberglass box for my back seat. Idk though. For tuning I think I am gonna buy a kicker equalizer as well.

Spencer2009- Nah I wish I was rolling in the money lol. I had bought a 1980 chevy along time ago to work on and restore and had alot of fun with it but I sold it because I was gonna buy a 1964 chevy for $2000 but the guy sold it before I could buy it so I had $1700 to spend on my truck. lol. Also I buy and sell car audio in my town and build sub boxes for my freinds. Last subs I sold I made $135 dollar profit.

Also for anyone who cares the L7s I bough for $460 where the 2011 ones and they had a "mis-listing" on ebay so now they are selling them for $799 I made some money there too.

Old 05-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Looks good man. I like the heads and tails. How do you have the sub box secured in the back seat? Just wondering in case of an accident it doesn't go flying into the back of your head.

And what I think Pizzaman711 was talking about was tuning wise for a ported enclosure for your subs so it hits certain frequencies. Some guys who compete SPL wise tune to a really high Hz so they can burp numbers like 150 db and higher. A prefab box wouldn't be able to hit those numbers. Also for tuning, an eq isn't gonna get you high scores in sound quality. You would need to look into deadening everything, tweeter placement for sound stage, time alignment and running active on your components. There's a lot that these guys who compete do to get their car sounding perfect and even then its all judges preference.

Old 05-18-2011, 10:33 PM
Joh408- Thanks man. I dont it secured yet. The seats are kinda holding it the most right now lol. What would you suggest for holding it down?

Yes deadener is on my list of things to do. Also I want to build some a-pillar pods for some tweets and I think that may help alot. I need to get my system professionally tuned. I just wish I knew my db right now cause its pretty effin loud. (in my opinoin.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:26 PM
Good lookin truck bro!! Can't wait to see more of it

Old 05-19-2011, 12:11 AM
I like that sticker! merle haggard is awesome. nice truck man

Old 05-19-2011, 01:32 AM
Nah I actually went with just the kicker compvx 15", in the right box it hits harder than my L7s did and it takes up a little less space and weighs a little less which is nice cause the sub and box weighs about as much as me haha. I've been thinking about getting a second one cause I have the room and amp power to push it but at that point I think I'll be breaking glass most likely.

And yea I meant what john said about tuning for certain frequencies to hit the highest db's possible. But an equalizer will help you also cause it'll make it easier to adjust what power goes where and how much it gets, etc, etc.

Old 05-19-2011, 05:52 PM
Fordfx4guy- Thanks man that makes me feel better.

Alex7191- FINALLY someone gets the sticker lol. I love that song and I though it would be funny to put on the back glass. Thanks man.

Pizzaman711- I guess I could've looked in your signature I may have to look into these CVXs.. hmm..

In other news, My alpine radio has come and I just got it out of the box! Ill post some pictures in a bit

Quick Reply: Progress thread