1997 - 2003 F-150

2002 F150 needs new engine want 4.9L is it possible

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 02:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeSolis11
Hello, I have a 2002 ford f150 lariat fx4 and the engine (5.4 triton) won't go past 3x rpm's no matter how hard I press. The tranny shifts at random times and mechanics had no clue and so I wanted to swap out the whole thing, I've got about 10,000. I was looking into getting the same engine supercharged but I need help picking the right transmission and axles, I'm looking into making it kind of a prerunner, I already got KYNG shocks and new leaf springs. With upgraded control arms and sway bars. Just need the power to get her going fast off road.
I'd personally start a new thread for this, also, what's your front suspension setup? throwing in king replacement shocks on what looks like an RCX lift does not a prerunner make. also, just find a lightning drivetrain and swap that in. it will be more than capable of going fast. If you are truly interested in doing a prerunner conversion, upgraded leafs are definitely a good start, but for the front i'd look into dezert vegas fab's long travel coilover conversion kit, as well as the engine work you'd like to do. there is a ton of work in making a prerunner out of a DD.

Old 01-26-2015, 12:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DirdyDan

A 302 dressed up barely fits in. I'm pretty sure a 4.9 won't fit without some major surgery to the core support to move the radiator forward more.
Who knows... A V10 fits tightly.

None of this matters, the OP will never complete a swap since he had to ask if it could be done and what the easiest and least expensive option was.

Old 02-02-2015, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ishootstuff
Who knows... A V10 fits tightly.

None of this matters, the OP will never complete a swap since he had to ask if it could be done and what the easiest and least expensive option was.
What I ended up doing was selling the truck because someone wanted the body and I bought a 95 f150 and converted it to 4wd. It's a 4.9 5-speed with manual t-case. It was a better option to just buy a 4.9 truck, then it was to swap it in.

Old 02-02-2015, 12:35 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Excellent choice.

Quick Reply: 2002 F150 needs new engine want 4.9L is it possible