1997 - 2003 F-150

Just had sparkplugs changed

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 12:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Toyz
Not every single truck blows a plug out, some still go by the book and don't have issues...
However, knowing that blowing a plug out is a probability, and knowing they blow out from working themselves lose and the lack of thread count in the head, would you put antiseize and torque to 13ft/lbs? I wouldn't. If you have ever torqued anything to 13ft/lbs, its not much at all, hand tight and a quarter turn will yield at least that. Spooky.
Yeah i know its not very much. I know everyone pretty well and they are all very strait forward. I was talking to josh, the guy that actually worked on my truck about the torque specs and he said he knows it doesn't sound like a lot but that's what it calls for. And i told him i have been told to do it at 28 fp and he agrees that it could work but he was concerned about striping my threads and getting them back out at my next plug change but they said they would be willing to re torque them if i wanted. They asked me to email them some links so they can look into it as well. They also do the maintenance on all the highway patrol cars. They had one getting plugs changed right after me.

Old 01-19-2011, 01:58 AM
I'm not sure exactly what the maximum torque threshold of the threads are but its been said I believe by the guys at blownoutsparkplugs that the heads can hold much much more than 28ft/lbs. So theres no worries there. I torqued mine to 28ft/lbs when I did my swap and was also worried they wouldnt come out, or take the threads with them. I pulled a couple of them a few weeks back (bout 20k miles) chasing a misfire and with a warm engine they came out with ease, light crack of the wrench then out with the hands. Seemed just fine to me. There are plenty of people on this site that have used those torque specs, haven't heard not one story of them taking the threads on the way out. Jbrew probably checks/changes his plugs every saturday while hes removing, checking, cleaning, polishing and reinstalling every accessory in the engine bay, at least that's how it looks J/K

Last edited by Toyz; 01-19-2011 at 02:07 AM. Reason: Poke fun
Old 01-19-2011, 08:45 AM
glc
Received 769 Likes on 710 Posts
Read the referenced FAQ's:

Q: Why do you prefer 28-32 foot lbs torque instead of the factory specification?
A: Over the past few years we have heard from many of our customers that they tightened their plugs to the correct torque but they still came loose. We worked with 10 other Ford Certified Master Mechanics and concluded that 28 foot lbs of torque would be satisfactory. We have been using 28 foot lbs of torque for many years and have never had one come loose or strip out. To verify that we would not damage the original threads we used a test cylinder head with good factory threads we applied over 100 foot lbs of torque to the spark plug without any failure.

Q: Do you use Anti-Seize when you install new spark plugs?
A: No, we always use Motorcraft nickel plated spark plugs to stop any issues with electrolysis.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
I recently bought Motorcraft spark plugs for my truck. I bought mine from Autozone but was curious if Ford used a different plug. So, I went to the dealer and looked at theirs. They were both the same number and neither had nickel plating. I don't know what plug you would have to buy to get nickel plating.
Of course the dealer wanted almost $8/plug and Autozone charged $3.64/plug.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:05 PM
If you got the SP-479's I believe all the SP- plugs are the platinum nickle plated. If they have nickle colored threads vs the black colored threads. And if I remember right they were only about 2.49 each.

Rock auto lists the sp-479 as nickle plated

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...R48-SP479-1808

But then you have places like this that list them as "suppressor sp-479", yet in the picture they have non nickle plated black threads.... and the box does not say sp-479
http://www.amazon.com/Motorcraft-SP4.../dp/B000IYK6B6

Last edited by Toyz; 01-19-2011 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:41 PM
glc
It's my understanding that the SP-series Motorcrafts all have nickel plated threads.

Old 01-19-2011, 09:22 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
Those are the ones I have. If they are nickel plated, it's hard to tell. They look like steel. If I wasn't mistaken, the computer screen at Autozone classified them as iridium. Must have been a mistake, mine or the computers.
The Rock Auto link says they have platinum-nickel plated shells

Old 01-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Then you dont have motorcraft plugs. Motorcrafts are made by Allied signal along with Autolites. They will look identical except for the fact to get the nickel plated plugs you have to go to Ford.. Been down this road and found out the hard way...

Old 01-19-2011, 10:12 PM
So are you saying the sp-479's listed as platinum nickle plated from autozone are in fact "not" nickle plated?

Old 01-19-2011, 11:01 PM
Yep. Just went by today to get new plugs.. They are not Motorcraft SP-479's. They are Autolite SPP-479 relabeled and packaged as Motorcraft AGSM's.. I decided to stick with my NGK R's... Nickel plated, and I have never had a problem with them.. The company I work for build mold for Allied Signals Automotive divison..

Old 01-20-2011, 12:10 AM
Here is a quote from a user on another site, from ford motor company..

"here is what Ford sent me, also they said they would see if there is any data to support using Motorcraft Plugs.

Ed

The easiest answer is that Motorcraft plugs are made to rigid OE specs. and are designed, engineered and recommended by Ford -- no other spark plug brand (including Autolite) can make that claim. I think we have good brand loyalty because many folks recognize Motorcraft is the plug the "car was born with".

I will ask our Engineers to comment on test data as I do not have any. However, I am very confident in the quality of our products given our Engineers must approve and sign off on every part.

Also, Motorcraft recently launched our new nickel alloy spark plugs that fit some new OE applications -- these plugs are lower priced than Platinum and are not offered by our competitors. Check out part #'s AGSF22N, AGSF24N, AGSF32N, AGSF34N. Good coverage at great prices.....

Last, Motorcraft prices are very competitive vs. all major competitors...

Please let me know if you have any questions......

Geoff Smith

Geoff Smith
Ford Customer Service Division
Product Manager - Maintenance Team "

It was a couple of years ago though. Maybe things have changed

I don't follow all the mumbo jumbo about who owns who and this sister company builds these, honeywell this, autolite that and so on

As far as I know, they are or used to be made side by side with motorcraft, But the autolites were "based" on specific design requirements by fomoco, not the same. And from experiences around here, the autolites are by far not the same plugs as motorcraft.

Last edited by Toyz; 01-20-2011 at 12:24 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:08 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadie
Those are the ones I have. If they are nickel plated, it's hard to tell. They look like steel. If I wasn't mistaken, the computer screen at Autozone classified them as iridium. Must have been a mistake, mine or the computers.
The Rock Auto link says they have platinum-nickel plated shells
No , you seen it right. There's an iridium percentage, - must be.

And if anyone has a set of Autolites laying around, -and maybe and old set of Mototorcrafts as well. - Do a simple resistance test . Yea, the Autolites aren't just out, - their off by a long-shot. I compared to Motorcraft and NGK at the time. The Motorcraft plugs and NGK's had the same resistance readings, consistently. All 8 Autolites were consistently different., - no joke, - they were not even close.

Heres what you seen Roadie: -

MOTORCRAFT SUPPRESSOR SPARK PLUG, PLATINUM IRIDIUM, SOLD INDIVIDUALLY -- 0.054 in. gap size, standard service plug; Delivers maximum voltage to the spark plug while maximizing performance and increases engine life; Resists corrosion and abrasion; Reduces the chance of misfire.

* Series: Suppressor
* Quantity Sold: Sold individually
* Plug Type: Resistor
* Electrode Core Material: Copper
* Electrode Tip Material: Platinum
* Product Fit: Direct fit
* Warranty: Motorcraft's 12-month or 12,000-miles warranty

Old 01-20-2011, 08:58 AM
glc
I think some of you are confusing the electrode composition with the plug thread composition. No threads are going to be platinum or iridium.

Quick Reply: Just had sparkplugs changed