1997 - 2003 F-150

4x4 engaging by itself (at random not good)

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 08:20 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
TA DA!!!!

Thanks jbrew. I guess this year wasn't a total waste after all. I actually learned something new.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:23 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Old 12-31-2010, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by JMC
TA DA!!!!

Thanks jbrew. I guess this year wasn't a total waste after all. I actually learned something new.
You did it lol !

Your buyin

Old 12-31-2010, 08:26 PM
JMC

I enlarged the important part. Check continuity between the ground terminal and the different contact plate terminals.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:27 PM

Oh hell, he's getting fancy now lol.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:32 PM
JMC

To quote Peter Pan: I'm flying... / Look at me, / Way up high, / Suddenly, / Here am I, / I'm flying.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by JMC
To quote Peter Pan: I'm flying... / Look at me, / Way up high, / Suddenly, / Here am I, / I'm flying.
Dang, you seen that one too. I was forced, -babysitting

Old 12-31-2010, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by NYfordguy

If this doesn't do it, then I have no choice but to bring it to the big boys.
You'll probably end up paying for them to troubleshoot what you already have. That may start a cycle of you having to keep bringing the truck back them, because their attempts to fix,- failed.

What I'm trying to say, you've went this far with it, keep going yourself or you might be paying someone else for the work you have done so far. Even if you explain to them what you have done, they won't pay much attention to it. They will troubleshoot the way they are accustom to , regardless.

That's just the way it usually is. Don't give up, unless it's driving you to be, well, - mentally unstable lol .

Old 01-01-2011, 06:18 AM

See that "Red" Ground up there, - JMC is referring to. I bet that's the one I've heard so much about lol. Kind of a personal joke, I couldn't find it once.

Anyway, - Keep Going! No Wuss-en Out! -Don't give in and you'll be glad you didn't. Just fricken breath... - Find a few things you can break without to much repercussion. Preferable, things that aren't yours. Keep these close by for emergency purposes.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys, ok this looks intimidating, but I bet its important to "reference" the blue/gray sensor plate on the back of the motor.

Where do I find this red wire? How do you test some of the GEM wires from under the truck at the harness connection?

Last edited by NYfordguy; 01-01-2011 at 01:50 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:01 PM
Ok guys, I'm all done, got the new shift motor from NAPA today, installed, as soon as I reconnected battery and turned truck to the run position, it shifted into 4x4. Now its too cold out and I don't have a nearby heated garage, so I'm taking it to one of the ford guys in the area. Hes a head tech at the local dealer and has his own home business with all the bells and whistles, so he can figure it out. At this point I'm guessing GEM or 4x4 dash switch (even tho volt meter read correctly) Also it doesn't light up anymore.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:25 PM
JMC

Most of the time the shift motor is what fails. If it isn't that the next most common part is the GEM. Unfortunately the only way to test the GEM is to have a bi-directional scan tool that can activate circuits and read the GEM codes. My palm pilot based scanner does all of this but it is slow. Here is a link to my next toy. http://www.autoenginuity.com/products.html

Sorry I couldn't help you get it fixed. Good luck with your Ford guy. I am sure he will be able to do all the proper tests to get it fixed fast.

Old 01-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Hey JMC, yeah I know, its OK buddy you and jbrew did a splendid job trying to help me diagnose all the different parts of the system, in the end however it sometimes just gets ya.

What do you think caused this possibility of a GEM failure? I never found any evidence of water damage, and never found a leak anywhere.

Also what do you think is up with the 4x4 switch not lighting up anymore? Maybe thats shot too LOL

Old 01-03-2011, 05:45 PM
JMC

Is it the light in the switch that doesn't work or the indicator in the instrument cluster? Instrument cluster light is turned on by the GEM. With the switch disconnected the transfer case should never shift into 4x4. That would eliminate the switch right there. The highest resistance is in the 2 wheel drive mode setting. Unplugging the switch makes the resistance infinite. That is why I suspect either the GEM or the shift motor.

Old 01-03-2011, 06:59 PM
Hey JMC the 4x4 selector **** isn't lighting up anymore, everything else is working. DId the bulb burn out? Switch still works then acts dead when the truck is having its shifting fits.

Yes the one time I had the dash **** unplugged it was still shifting into 4x4. I bet its my GEM probably.

Just dropped my truck off at the tech's place. Talked to him about it. It was doing the 4x4 shifting almost all the way over, then it went into 2WD and quit. Just for kicks when I got to his place I tried shifting it, worked like it should now LOL.

I told him I don't want him to think I'm crazy! Gave him a photo of the GEM too so is he has to get one he knows what is in it already. Has a big C on it.

Quick Reply: 4x4 engaging by itself (at random not good)