1997 - 2003 F-150

4x4 engaging by itself (at random not good)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 05:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick update:

Got everything put back together, truck acted up for a few minutes then the problem seemed to vanish. I DID locate the 4x4 clicking relay between the steering wheel and radio in a little crevice but how in the world do you change it? I knew it was the correct relay because I could feel it clicking. Took test drive and everything worked as it should, I went to a snowy lot and tested, everything worked like new......just hope it stays this way. I am hoping the disassembly and di-electric greasing helped out something.

TIA JMC or anyone else!

Old 12-10-2010, 06:37 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Here is a pic of the dash with the connector location.
99F150DASH.jpg?t=1229440899

Old 12-10-2010, 07:35 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
What I've always thought was strange. Ford has the GEM getting wet from a passenger side windshield leak. I know water travels, but that seems like a stretch lol.

I bet the windshields can leak @ both corners.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:01 PM
Bless both of you! How are you supposed to exactly get at to change/service the C221 relay module? Is it replacable? I would like to replace it with a new one in case this one was/is starting to go. I tested 4x4 again in high and low on a snowy lot tonite again. Works perfect, went for a 10 miles drive, no clicking or phantom shifting fingers crossed!

Pictures as promised. Is this an old GEM? Should I look into getting a new one should symptoms return (god I hope not!)

The yellowish areas in the circuit board pics is from the overhead light, the board is not discolored.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:46 PM

You can't tell from the pic. Look at the top of of the capacitor cans. If there's ANY bulge to them, - their bad.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Hey jbrew, I checked the board over well and I couldnt see anything out of the ordinary. Its all back in the truck now so I guess I'll have to wait to see if symptoms arise again.

What would bad capacitors cause? More importanly what would cause a bulge as you describe?

And, whats the secret to the 4x4 relay in the dash. You guys are dodging that question! It must be a SECRET!

Old 12-10-2010, 09:56 PM

Not really any secrets, - just plenty of mystery... ; if you know what I mean.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by NYfordguy
Hey jbrew, I checked the board over well and I couldnt see anything out of the ordinary. Its all back in the truck now so I guess I'll have to wait to see if symptoms arise again.

What would bad capacitors cause? More importanly what would cause a bulge as you describe?

And, whats the secret to the 4x4 relay in the dash. You guys are dodging that question! It must be a SECRET!
Bad capacitors could cause many problems. That's was just a shortcut in determining. A bad one will bulge at the top and/or leak.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
Not really any secrets, - just plenty of mystery... ; if you know what I mean.
Its going to be a mystery getting access to it! Its also a mystery what the engineers placed them in ignorant locations! Wow, jus put em all in one spot please! I could only get two of my fingers on it, then I felt it clicking. But thats all two fingers, no more! I wonder what the procedure is for removal/service.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:44 PM

Didn't you have it removed ? Thought that was yours?

Old 12-11-2010, 04:49 AM
I had the GEM out, not the 4x4 relay in the dash between the radio and steering wheel. I can't figure how your're supposed to get to that. GEM wasn't that bad to get out. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:51 PM

4x4 relay? Not sure what you mean. The T-case clutch RPO relay is right under the top dash access panel. Takes about 2 minutes to get to. Then there's the module switch on the dash. That's fairly easy. Fuse 15 (5amp) under the dash and 22 in the PDB (under the hood) work together with the GEM for your 4X4 in & out. I believe the GEM's red wire is ground, that can't be corroded.

Lets see, what else? Oh, you mean the Transfer Case "shift relay" maybe? Yea, you have to pull the cluster.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Hi jbrew, yes thats the one I'm talking about near the cluster that clicks loudly when you request a shift. Is that just a standard relay or something expensive I have to get at a dealer only? DO you think it would be a good idea to replace it, could that cause uncontrollable/random 4x4 engagment?

Pull the cluster huh? How bad is that? Probably would be a good idea to replace all my bulbs in it with LEDS while it out?

Old 12-12-2010, 11:30 AM
JMC

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
T-case Shift Relay Module - Fortunately I don't have one, manual shift, but it is the meat of the t-case. The module is just a duel relay that controls the way the shift motor turns. Clockwise or counter-clockwise. When they short out the t-case is dead. If they short in the on position or if they overheat and the contacts ark then you can hear the clicking. jbrew you are better at posting pics so if you look in cell 34-2 of the EVTM you can see how it changes the polarity of the motor to control the direction.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by JMC
T-case Shift Relay Module - Fortunately I don't have one, manual shift, but it is the meat of the t-case. The module is just a duel relay that controls the way the shift motor turns. Clockwise or counter-clockwise. When they short out the t-case is dead. If they short in the on position or if they overheat and the contacts ark then you can hear the clicking. jbrew you are better at posting pics so if you look in cell 34-2 of the EVTM you can see how it changes the polarity of the motor to control the direction.
I had wiring (EVTM) up yesterday. Didn't think he wanted that. Alright , here's 34 -2 =

Quick Reply: 4x4 engaging by itself (at random not good)