1997 - 2003 F-150

Still NOT getting the MPGs I'd hoped for!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 07:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Filled up today after another week containing some hunting trips. I did have one trip into town. I also changed my routes some. I was still highway, but not all interstate. I had the cruise at 45 MPH, 55 MPH, 65MPH and 70 MPH depending on the road I was on. I got 14.9 MPG!!!! Still not even 15 MPG!!

This brings another question. How do ya'll fill you truck up? I mean, after the pump stops...I always "squeeze" more in getting it to the next whole number in price. I have always done that with about every vehicle I own or drive. Do you think that this is messing up my calculations?? I don't think it is, but who knows? I figure if I do it the SAME every time, I have some sort of control in my experiment. I even try to use the same pump at the same station if I can. If I remember the volume amount that the pump stopped on correctly, and calculate the mileage with that number....I believe it comes out to 15.2 MPG. At least theres hope I guess. Hopefully my next tank will have my new MC o2 sensors on..if they will ever get here!---DirtySCREW

Old 10-23-2010, 07:45 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
I bring it up to the next even $1.00 after it shuts off.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by glc
I bring it up to the next even $1.00 after it shuts off.
Same here.

Old 10-23-2010, 08:24 PM
man I get 13.3 highway with my 35s doing 65

Old 10-23-2010, 08:36 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Get rid of that oiled element and that will help. Run a dry element, one that you don't have to F with, like a nano fiber. That way your MAF is reporting correct numbers to the PCM, -consistently and by design. Your most likely running on the rich side of set parameters. This does effect your O2's, - running rich cakes them up. You can clean them (the ceramics) thru the vents w/compressed air and Seafoam to assist. IMO, high mileage engines do well w/denso iridium's. The correct exhaust for your tune helps as well.

My engine is @ 272,000 miles and I get a consistent 16 mpg. Not spectacular I know, but I get it City and Highway. I cruise @ 78/79 mph 22/2300 rpm. The sweet spot for the V8 is @ 1900 RPM's. I can't drive that slow, -yet lol.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by DirtySCREW
Filled up today after another week containing some hunting trips. I did have one trip into town. I also changed my routes some. I was still highway, but not all interstate. I had the cruise at 45 MPH, 55 MPH, 65MPH and 70 MPH depending on the road I was on. I got 14.9 MPG!!!! Still not even 15 MPG!!

This brings another question. How do ya'll fill you truck up? I mean, after the pump stops...I always "squeeze" more in getting it to the next whole number in price. I have always done that with about every vehicle I own or drive. Do you think that this is messing up my calculations?? I don't think it is, but who knows? I figure if I do it the SAME every time, I have some sort of control in my experiment. I even try to use the same pump at the same station if I can. If I remember the volume amount that the pump stopped on correctly, and calculate the mileage with that number....I believe it comes out to 15.2 MPG. At least theres hope I guess. Hopefully my next tank will have my new MC o2 sensors on..if they will ever get here!---DirtySCREW
There's part of your problem. If you pump in more gas after the pump stops, then your calculated fuel economy will be lower than it actually is.

Miles Per Galllon = Miles traveled/Fuel consumed (in gallons). If you reset your trip odometer after filling up, but pump in, say, 25.5 gallons of gas instead of just stopping at 25 when the pump stopped, then the next time you pump in some gas and calculate your fuel economy (what the trip odometer says divided by how much gas you just pumped in), you'll think that you consumed half a gallon of gas more than you actually did, unless you remember to deduct it before calculating your fuel economy.

That, and topping off is very bad for the environment, you waste your money, and some of the fuel evaporates off.

http://www.epa.gov/donttopoff/

Old 10-24-2010, 03:21 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Your problem is you believed something from the EPA.
They're all retarded!

Old 10-24-2010, 11:36 AM
Not only are the BFG's 6lbs heavier than the stock Goodyears (not that I'm advocating the stockers) but the more aggressive tread pattern is increasing rolling resistance.

Have you ever tried Amsoil motor oil? They claim better fuel economy. I just put their 0W-30 in and can't wait to see if it makes a difference.

A dyno tune would make sure you aren't running rich, and the tuner could also give you a custom fuel economy tune.

Just out of curiosity, have you changed your fuel filter and thermostat lately?

Old 10-24-2010, 12:53 PM
id say E-fan and new front o2's i saw no joke a 4MPG increase when i did my o2's

the best ive gotten is 22mpg hwy and 20 mpg city.

but i have a 4.6 2wd with cai/E-fan/LT's/and a tuner.

right now im avg about 17mpg city 18-20 hwy depending how i drive.

i did a test coming home from school a few times i statyed at 55mph behide a semi truck and my truck didnt go threw any gas at all. it was nuts. no idea on mileage because it was only a 22 mile trip.

As jbrew stated sweet spot is 1750-1900 55-60mph will get you your best MPG

Old 10-24-2010, 01:46 PM

Jbrew----so you're saying get a AEM filter or some other brand of Dry filter? I wish to GOD I had the STOCK intake system. Then i'd do the Gotts mod and be done with it.

Cdomino---fuel filter was changed last year about this time. I've never replaced the thermostat. Keep us updated on if you get better mileage with the Amsoil. I plan on using Amsoil when I change my tranny and transfer case.

USPS sucks on delivering mail!! I wished I'd paid extra for FedEx or UPS.....I'm still waiting on my o2s!!!---DirtySCREW

Old 10-24-2010, 02:48 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Just use an Amsoil filter that fits your box. Or another dry filter. You'll need to measure the opening. A factory L filter might fit that box, - not sure, but I am sure you can find one.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Originally Posted by DirtySCREW
Jbrew----so you're saying get a AEM filter or some other brand of Dry filter? I wish to GOD I had the STOCK intake system. Then i'd do the Gotts mod and be done with it.

Cdomino---fuel filter was changed last year about this time. I've never replaced the thermostat. Keep us updated on if you get better mileage with the Amsoil. I plan on using Amsoil when I change my tranny and transfer case.

USPS sucks on delivering mail!! I wished I'd paid extra for FedEx or UPS.....I'm still waiting on my o2s!!!---DirtySCREW
im pretty sure i have a stock air box off my 97 if you want it. im gonna go look now. no i dont have it sorry

what brand o2's did you get?? i went to the store and bought denso's

Last edited by shifty_85; 10-24-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:18 PM

Shifty85-------thanks for getting my hopes up! LOL...nah, thanks for looking!

I bought MOTORCRAFT o2s!! From what I understand, don't buy ANYTHING EXCEPT Motorcraft or Bosch. OEM's from the factory are Bosch...but the Motorcrafts are suppose to be better. I personally don't understand how Ford doesn't put their own part on at the factory, but oh well. If you can, I'd return the denso's and get some MC's. Mine shipped to my door were $94.xx.......if they will ever get here....postman is sloooooooow! LOL And that is for the front two!---DirtySCREW

Old 10-24-2010, 08:05 PM
94 bucks dang around here the oem Bosch is 35 bucks and my densos were 38 i went with Denso because i HATE bosch i dont care if it is OEM for the truck after there spark plugs i hate that company

Old 10-24-2010, 08:16 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
He's saying 94 bucks SHIPPED for BOTH.

Quick Reply: Still NOT getting the MPGs I'd hoped for!!!