1997 - 2003 F-150

Rust Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rust Problem

Hi guys, I was just wondering your opinions and knowledge on rust. I am looking at a truck and it has some rust holes in it. They are at the front of the bed and the rear of the bed, near the corners on both passenger and driver side. They are complete holes...you can see right through them. Is this a common rust problem spot? Is this easy to fix? What is the correct way to fix these holes?

Old 10-03-2010, 11:05 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I wouldn't ever purchase a truck like that, -unless I needed it for other parts. I'm working on right now. Welded in/replaced all lower bed panels and rockers. Those were the bad spots, but once they get that bad, you have rust in places that aren't visible yet, but soon will be. I had to fab up new front bed mounts the bed was so bad.

It's a PITA. This is the last time for me lol. I wouldn't even bother with, but the drive-train and engine are solid. To many Michigan winters.

If your into body work, then it may be worth it. I hate body work, -absolutely hate it, -that's exactly how I feel lol.

But you HAVE TO weld in new metal man, that's the only way or it won't last. Personally, if it was me, I would look for a southern truck and bypass that rust belt all together.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:08 PM
^^^This!

Thats pretty much it 100%. Get a truck with no rust, unless you want to be replacing panels. Rust is like cancer-you have to get rid of all of it if you dont want it to keep on coming back.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:21 PM
Ok. That is the only problem though...a southern truck in Pennsylvania is like the Pittsburgh Pirates having a winning season. It just really doesn't happen. Mostly everything here is rusted. I looked at a truck today though with the 97-03 body style, but it did not have the driving lights or tow hooks on the front bumper, and it did not have the tachometer, which I am pretty sure is standard for that style. Do you guys know anything about this?

Old 10-03-2010, 11:25 PM
Originally Posted by fishsniper
Ok. That is the only problem though...a southern truck in Pennsylvania is like the Pittsburgh Pirates having a winning season. It just really doesn't happen. Mostly everything here is rusted. I looked at a truck today though with the 97-03 body style, but it did not have the driving lights or tow hooks on the front bumper, and it did not have the tachometer, which I am pretty sure is standard for that style. Do you guys know anything about this?
That would be a 2wd XL or base model.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:29 PM
It was 4wd because it does have the 4wd shifter.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:32 PM
It was 4wd because it does have the 4wd shifter.
Oh, well I have never seen a 4wd that did not come with fog lights. Thats a new one for me.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:41 PM
I think I am going to go look at it on Tuesday. I'll take pictures and put them on here. How do you put a picture in? I tried before and it just redirected me to another page not with this website.

Old 10-03-2010, 11:56 PM

A 4wd shifter ? I have to see this. I've heard they made a 4.6L's with a rod thru the floor. But those were stripped down, had just about nothing on them and used for fleet vehicles. I've never seen one tho, -wouldn't really want one.

Sounds like your minds made up on a junker lol.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:28 AM
Lol I was just wondering about the rust. I decided not to go with that truck because I found out it had some engine problems. Your description sounds like what this truck is. I will take some pictures of it and post them. Its just hard to find a good truck for a decent price. Everyone has their trucks overpriced because they know they can because people are paranoid after that snow storm last year here.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:52 AM

Lol I was just wondering about the rust. I decided not to go with that truck because I found out it had some engine problems. Your description sounds like what this truck is. I will take some pictures of it and post them. Its just hard to find a good truck for a decent price. Everyone has their trucks overpriced because they know they can because people are paranoid after that snow storm last year here.
That's why it pays to look down south lol. There's clean trucks around you, you'll find one if you hold out long enough. Give it some time.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jbrew
A 4wd shifter ? I have to see this. I've heard they made a 4.6L's with a rod thru the floor. But those were stripped down, had just about nothing on them and used for fleet vehicles. I've never seen one tho, -wouldn't really want one.

Sounds like your minds made up on a junker lol.
My old 97 was a 4.6 with a 4wd shifter on the floor, and it was an XLT with a bunch of bells and whistles.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by FX41
My old 97 was a 4.6 with a 4wd shifter on the floor, and it was an XLT with a bunch of bells and whistles.
Yea, Ive heard of them, -just haven't seen one yet.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:31 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Gotcha

Old 10-04-2010, 08:58 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by b2therad
Oh, well I have never seen a 4wd that did not come with fog lights. Thats a new one for me.
A 4wd always had the lights or the at least the cutouts.
The actual fog light bulbs were optional on lower trimlines.

Quick Reply: Rust Problem