1997 - 2003 F-150

How many inches for torsion turn?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many inches for torsion turn?

Guys, Im putting a 3" PA lift on truck. Ill be running 35x12.50x17 M/T's. I will also be adding an Add A Leaf to rear end.
My question is, how many inches can one turn those front torsion bars? I dont think I want to max them out, but I need to know what the range of lift could be so I can order the appropriate size AAL for the rear to make the truck perfectly level.
I was toying with cranking them 1.5" (if they can go that far) and then buying the Rough Country 1.5" AAL. Number wise that would make it level right (with the 3" BL)?
If I knew those front bars could go up to 2", then I might be tempted to do a 2" AAL in *** end.
Any advice, or pics of this set-up?
Thanks again guys!!!!

Old 09-17-2010, 04:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is no set rule on what you get from adjusting them, sorry. Each truck seems to be different and even how many miles are on your truck has an impact of the condition of the bars. There is also absolutely nothing wrong with adjusting them as far as they'll go either. Just try it and see what you get...that's really all you can do. Completely bottom out the bolt! If you don't like it, back them off some. I have mine as far as they'll go and my truck barely sits level and depending on how you look at it, the front is still a tiny bit lower, but I love how it sits. And that's without anything lifting the rear. IMO, if you lift the rear any, you'll never get enough out of the front to level it out.

Instead of going through all the trouble of a body lift, add-a-leafs, cranking bars, etc., why not just get a lift kit??

Old 09-18-2010, 11:30 PM
I got about 2" out of my torsion bars.

Id love to see some pics when you finish, i was thinking of doing a similar setup

Old 09-19-2010, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the info Galaxy. The reason i was thinking the body lift/AAL route was simply cost. The RCX suspension lift is 1000 (at least thats the cheapest ive found so far) and the 3"body is 200 with a 50$ AAL saves me 750$....
I really dont offroad as i live in Central Florida where everything is flat or swamp, but i just like the look of a bigger truck.
I havnt ruled out the RCX as Im finding install for both is about the same.
The truck Im getting in Oct. is one my 80 y/o grandparents bought new in 2000 and now has 50 grand on it. But I hear ya about different ppl getting different heights.
again, thanks for help it is really appreciated..
Anyone else with advice or pics?

Old 09-19-2010, 10:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Galaxy.

Quick Reply: How many inches for torsion turn?