1997 - 2003 F-150

Problems with the A/C?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 11:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with the A/C?

I have had my F-150 4.2 for about 2 years now and recently I have been noticing a loud clicking sound coming from my engine. I recently put a high flow Specter intake in place of my stock intake and it helped with the clicking sound. I noticed when I opened the hood, and found out that it was my air compressor (or at lest I think it was) making that horrible racket in my engine. It doesn't make a sound when it is off. And I have no idea how long it's been since the last Freon charge, but it still blows cool air on normal A/C and chilly on Max A/C. Now I got to ask, why is it making this sound whenever it's turned on?
If this is the wrong place to post this please let me know

Old 08-13-2010, 07:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
watch closely....when it is "clicking"....is the clutch for the A/C engaging and disengaging??
does it go away with A/C turned off?

if so it is a sign the A/C system is needing some attention.

or maybe it is a bad spot on the serpentine belt itself?

look over the vacuum lines.

if it isn't any of those you might be wise to get it checked out, for a bigger gremlin maybe lurking

Old 08-13-2010, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes it does go away when I turn it off. I may need a combonation of both a new serpentine belt and some work on the A/C. Even though the truck has been garage kept most of it's life (lest until I got it). So stuff had time to leak and dryrot.

Quick Reply: Problems with the A/C?