1997 - 2003 F-150

Popping, creaking noise in front end

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Popping, creaking noise in front end

I just got my truck inspected today (cost me a total of $982.43) for complete new back brakes (with the axle seals), new lifetime warranty upper ball joints, new brake line from front to back, and a new alignment because of the new upper ball joints. Does this seem a little overpriced? I originally went because I noticed the popping sound was getting worse and my back brakes needed to be replaced. When I picked it up it passed inspection with the new upper ball joints, but my question is wouldn't they have noticed the popping noise, it does it even when its in park just moving the steering wheel back and forth. I have an idea that its the inner ball joint but I am open to any suggestions. It has been doing this a year and I am stumped on what it is, sometimes it doesnt do it (usually when I want to find out where its coming from) but its getting more frequent, and more annoying everyday. Any suggestions on what that sound could be? The truck is a 2003 Screw 4x4

Old 04-14-2010, 06:33 PM
I'm not sure if the noise sound the same because my was poping and sqeeking but i replace the front upper ball joint on the driver side [the one that I thought that was making the noise because it was worn out] but I drove my truck down the road and it still made the same noise. I started looking around the lower balljoints and it had a hole in it [ which I thought it was for to put grease in but didn't have a fitting so I found one that would work and put grease in and it stop the noise] It had that hole in it and you know mud,dirt, and everything else was getting in that hole. My only thing is the fitting won't stay in and it is hard to get the dang on thing in to start with. and the other thing was my brake calapers was make a noise also a it has a place under a black rubber piece that needed greased also. Don't know if this will help or if the balljoints are the same on my 01 but good luck.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:40 AM
well i think i found the problem, my idle arm is the source of the popping/creaking noise coming from my front end, i finally got someone to sit in the truck and move the steering wheel back and forth while i was under the truck. at least now i know where the sound is coming from, next is fixing that annoying problem

Old 04-17-2010, 09:49 PM
Debending on the teck he will only recomend the things that will make hime money and he is willing to do.

Quick Reply: Popping, creaking noise in front end