1997 - 2003 F-150

Front brake rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front brake rotors

Hey guys,

I own a 2002 lariat F-150 Screw and I am replacing the front rotors on it. It's my first time doing this and I am stump right now. I got the old and worn out rotors out and there is a bearing ( I think ) inside the old rotor and I know it need to come out and put into the new one. I don't know if I am suppose to hammer it out using a mallet or something, I just afraid I will cause some damages to it. I was wondering if you guys could help me out.

Thank!
Tyler

P.S. I forgot to buy some grease for the new rotors and I was also wondering if you guys could recommend which grease would be the best for it before I purchase one?

Old 04-05-2010, 02:15 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
turn the rotor over with the threads facing up. take a screwdriver and a mallet (hitting from the inside) and work your way around until it pop out.

just look for wheel bearing grease

Old 04-05-2010, 03:27 AM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121
turn the rotor over with the threads facing up. take a screwdriver and a mallet (hitting from the inside) and work your way around until it pop out.

pop the seal out and the bearing will be right there. Don't hammer a screwdriver into the bearing itself

Old 04-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Thank for advice guys!

Old 04-07-2010, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by Raptor05121

I forgot to ask one more question. Should I clean out the the used grease out so I can put apply the new one or leave it there and apply the new grease to some area that does not have grease inside the new rotor?

Old 04-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Originally Posted by FordDude33
I forgot to ask one more question. Should I clean out the the used grease out so I can put apply the new one or leave it there and apply the new grease to some area that does not have grease inside the new rotor?
I would clean out the used grease first. Old grease could have water intrusion or just be "used up"... You already bought the grease, so it doesn't cost any more money to use it!

Also, if it might help, I did a step-by-step for 2WD front rotor replacement in this post.

Have fun!

Old 04-07-2010, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by ucfperspicere
I would clean out the used grease first. Old grease could have water intrusion or just be "used up"... You already bought the grease, so it doesn't cost any more money to use it!

Also, if it might help, I did a step-by-step for 2WD front rotor replacement in this post.

Have fun!
Thank man!

step-by-step post is very helpful

Trending Topics

Old 04-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Red02FX4
pop the seal out and the bearing will be right there. Don't hammer a screwdriver into the bearing itself
well theres the problem. that seal is mounted flush to the assembly and its in there pretty good. unless you have an ultra-sharp screwdriver to pry underneath the fragile seal, take a screwdriver and mallet to the steel bearing ring

Old 04-08-2010, 03:36 PM
Originally Posted by FordDude33
Thank man!

step-by-step post is very helpful
NP! Glad to help. Nothing like new brakes (except any power-adder, I guess). Just make sure you bed them in properly with the new pads now!

Old 04-23-2010, 06:59 PM
From Raptor05121:
"well theres the problem. that seal is mounted flush to the assembly and its in there pretty good. unless you have an ultra-sharp screwdriver to pry underneath the fragile seal, take a screwdriver and mallet to the steel bearing ring"

Remove the bearing retaining nut and the outside bearing. Now re-install the bearing retaining nut at least a few turns. Grab the rotor with both hands and yank it to you. You should now have the rotor in your hands with the inside wheel bearing and bearing seal hanging on the spindle. If not, try it a couple more times.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its really not that hard to get that seal out..ive always used 45* curved needle nose pliers and just pryed it out

Quick Reply: Front brake rotors