1997 - 2003 F-150

engine issue question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
engine issue question

I have a little issue with my 2001 supercrew. I have the 5.4 and its 4wd with 62K miles. My issue is this it seems to be missing or stuttering. It seems to idling fine and sometimes it drives great with zero issues and then the next time it seems to bog down on acceleration or sometimes feels as if it stutters when cruising down the road about fifty. It comes and goes and the service eng soon light has never came on at all. Although the light does come on during the startup test. If the light is not on can I still pull a code if i run a scanner on it? I have changed the fuel filter and I have even changed brands of fuel to eliminate that. I even cleaned the MAF with cleaner and the throttle body is clean. Any ideas?

Old 01-25-2010, 08:56 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yea...I just had this issue last week and a bunch of people have posted about this this week. I had a coil go in cylinder #4 and the IAC had to be replaced. While it was in I had the carbon cleaned out of the throttle body, all plugs changed, and the fuel filter. You're right about the check engine light too, it never came on.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:46 PM
So, if it didn't throw a code out how did you end up going with the #4 coil? I can tackle the coil and the iac valve myself. But, I guess I could just change all of the coils and plugs and help for the best.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:32 PM
You're probably about due for a plug change so I'd do that anyway.

Also, from what I've heard a problem/code (a misfire for example) has to present itself a certain number of times within a certain time frame to throw a CEL. The problems/codes are still being recorded by the PCM though even if a CEL doesn't show up. Might be worth going to autozone and having them check to see if there are any stored codes.

Someone correct me on this if I'm wrong.

Old 01-25-2010, 10:55 PM
my truck did some studdering the other day when i came to a stop, i found antifreeze leaking and traced it to a heater hose with a loose clamp, tightened it back up and no more problems. from what i've read it's a fairly common problem, my truck has 180,000 miles though

Quick Reply: engine issue question