1997 - 2003 F-150

trip to FL

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 03:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
trip to FL

Back from FL, saw some of the sights with the fam for TurkeyDay, cruised the 99 Expy EB with 5.4 3" body and 35 BFG's on stockers..... no tickets, no issues....VA- FL and FL-VA.

Do have a question for the gearheads out there. I rebuilt my 5.4 at 138K due to oil pump fail. I changed EVERYTHING but the block, and timing chains/tensioners

Crank

Rods

Pistons

Rings

PI Heads

Installed 02 Mustang GT cams

Plugs

8 COP's

Block still had the crosshatch in the cyl walls so I just honed it and went on.

The question I have is unless I ran HI test I had spark knock...while crusing...

like I said I'm runin a 5.4, 3:73's, 35's,no CAI, NO programmer, just the airfilter-fender adapter removed (pre gotts mod) loaded with 8 people (4 adult-4kids) and a cargo carrier on top.

Is there that big of a change with the stock vs. Mustang cams that would toss the timing that far off? I've towed witht he truck since the motor build....about 8k on the build so far, but this is the first time I really noticed it that bad..my wife even sitting in the pass seat could hear it and asked if we got bad gas.

Any Ideas?

MPG meter said @ 8-14 mpg avg while runnin @70-80

Old 12-01-2009, 04:50 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
considering the cams are exactly the same you wasted your time and energy there

#2 - why would you skimp out on the timing chain components??? that's kinda silly

#4 - when is the last time you changed the fuel filter? have you tried higher octane fuel to see if that helps??? when is the last time you cleaned the MAF? TB? etc???????

Quick Reply: trip to FL