1997 - 2003 F-150

Cranks over but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 11:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cranks over but won't start

My 02 Screw started fine this morning.. gas light was on so stopped for gas.. put in 1/2 a tank (as I was already late for work) and the truck would not start again. Cranks hard but never comes close to starting... was able to push it into a parking spot - walked home and took the wife's van to work..

Other notes:
-For the past week, I've been hearing a very low humming sound that lasts 1-2seconds shortly after starting the truck (barely audible)
-CEL has been on for 2 months - can't remember the code offhand but it had to do with the DPFE (egr flow insufficient) - kept driving it, as I don't notice any symptoms.
-I got ~82K on the engine.. only thing replaced was a COP and battery (and engine oil of course).

I'm thinking fuel pump... any quick way to check this? Any other ideas?? Thanks in advance,

Paul

Old 11-18-2009, 11:54 AM
do you normaly run you gas low? i know when i took my fuel class in school running ur gas low is very very hard on the pumps. the pump uses the cold gas to keep the pump it self cool. if you run ur tank low the pump gets very hott then when you fill it up the shock of the cold destroys the pump and you get a no start and have a shot fuel pump with a full tank of gas.... it sounds like this is what happend to you.

i recommend doing a fuel Pressure check, and a fuel volume check. change fuel filter frist alot cheaper and easyer to do. Also on fords check internata switch. if you have good PSI and volume, Check spark. the EGR code shouldnt cause a no start i had an EGR code for over 40,000 miles. im aiming towards fuel pump thoe.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:15 PM
Originally Posted by redryder4
-CEL has been on for 2 months - can't remember the code offhand but it had to do with the DPFE (egr flow insufficient) - kept driving it,
I recommend getting those codes checked again and replacing that dpfe sensor if needed. I had to replace mine at about 80k miles. It's a very simple fix for an average DIY'r.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Originally Posted by shifty_85
do you normaly run you gas low? i know when i took my fuel class in school running ur gas low is very very hard on the pumps. the pump uses the cold gas to keep the pump it self cool. if you run ur tank low the pump gets very hott then when you fill it up the shock of the cold destroys the pump and you get a no start and have a shot fuel pump with a full tank of gas.... it sounds like this is what happend to you.

i recommend doing a fuel Pressure check, and a fuel volume check. change fuel filter frist alot cheaper and easyer to do. Also on fords check internata switch. if you have good PSI and volume, Check spark. the EGR code shouldnt cause a no start i had an EGR code for over 40,000 miles. im aiming towards fuel pump thoe.
Your logic sounds good... I must confess I do occassionally run the gauge to below E... The most gas I've ever put in has been ~23 gallons and I've never ran it dry... The distance from my house to the gas station is 1/4 mile so I don't think it would overheat and or have thermal shock affects from gas, but perhaps the damage was already done..

I've never meaured fuel pressure/volume before, but I'll snoop around the forum for instructions on how to do this. Never heard of a an "internata switch"... Where might I find this? What is its purpose?

Like you, I've been driving with the EGR code for some time.. The truck runs fine (or did until this morning). I don't think its the culprit, but I wanted to present that info... Will a low fuel pressure warning code be present if my pump is bad?

Thanks again for the suggestions,

Paul

Old 11-18-2009, 02:07 PM
The inertia switch reset is behind the floor kick panel on the passenger side floor, on the right of where the passengers feet would be. It trips if the truck has sustained a hit or drop to prevent gas from continuing to run as a safety measure. Doubt that is your problem, but you never know.

I had a no start condition with my truck soon after I bought it last year. It was my crankshaft position sensor. It's down by the AC compressor. Look up from below, and see it between the AC compressor and the engine block. Mine must have just been loose or a bit corroded. I unplugged, then plugged it back in, and she started.

Good luck!!

Old 11-18-2009, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by jump n
The inertia switch reset is behind the floor kick panel on the passenger side floor, on the right of where the passengers feet would be. It trips if the truck has sustained a hit or drop to prevent gas from continuing to run as a safety measure. Doubt that is your problem, but you never know.

I had a no start condition with my truck soon after I bought it last year. It was my crankshaft position sensor. It's down by the AC compressor. Look up from below, and see it between the AC compressor and the engine block. Mine must have just been loose or a bit corroded. I unplugged, then plugged it back in, and she started.

Good luck!!
An "inertia" switch is much different from a "Internata" switch - I suspected it might be a typo Thanks for providing the location of the so called switch and thanks for yet another item to check. Would the crankshaft PS throw a code if bad?

I've consulted a friend at work who is bringing in a fuel pressure gauge and code reader for me tomorrow.. He asked if my truck has a shraeder valve on the fuel rail as this is how his gauge connects.. I have no clue... anyone?

Thanks again,

Paul

Old 11-18-2009, 03:07 PM
Yes; schraeder valve on the passenger side of the fuel rail.

You need to get the OBDII scanned; there may be additional codes now. A bad DPFE would not prevent the truck from starting so there's something else going on. Can you hear the fuel pump come on when you turn the key (before cranking)? If not, your fuel pump could be goner, but it could be the relay too. Need to start by getting the code(s).

Trending Topics

Old 11-18-2009, 11:56 PM
Well, went back to the truck today prepared to tow the thing back home.. A funny thing happened... It started right up... :o:o:o

Man, do I feel lame.. I just read on another forum that some people experience intermittant starting issues... I truly hope that this is not the beginning of that scenario...

At any rate, I'll run a scan tomorrow and report any codes..

Old 11-19-2009, 12:24 AM
yes it was a typo as many will tell you im not known for my spelling. i didnt think that switch would be it but before spending a bunch of money check something free frist lol.

id still do a Fuel PSI test and a volume test.

also ive learned if there is crap in ur tank it will get sucked onto the sock and cause it to stare for gas then you turn off the truck the crap settles to the bottom of tank again until restart.

Old 11-19-2009, 03:01 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Don't pass on the fuel pump yet.

Mine did this, would'nt start, the wait an hour and it would start. Same symtoms as yours.

It was the fuel pump after researching long and hard about this problem.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by srfd44
Don't pass on the fuel pump yet.

Mine did this, would'nt start, the wait an hour and it would start. Same symtoms as yours.

It was the fuel pump after researching long and hard about this problem.
Exact same experience here.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:31 AM
Glad she started. Mine could have been a fluke too. No problems since though. Let us know what find out.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by jump n
Glad she started. Mine could have been a fluke too. No problems since though. Let us know what find out.
Well, I've gone a few days now with no further issues... The truck starts quickly with no hesitation. Thanks for the heads up on possible reoccurrences... I will definitely change my habits and fill up before my low fuel light comes on. Hopefully the fuel pump will last many more years to come...

I did run a scan and no new codes popped up - just the P0401 (low EGR flow) which I already knew about. The fuel pressure gauge I borrowed had the wrong size shraeder valve, so I didn't get a reading..

Thanks one and all for the input/advice...

Paul

Quick Reply: Cranks over but won't start