1997 - 2003 F-150

axle swap story (long) belltech Q and 4.10s..

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 10:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
axle swap story (long) belltech Q and 4.10s..

alright so im not the best at making progress threads.. anyways.. So about 4 months or so ago i had a noise coming from my rear end area..I thought it was the brakes so i pulled the drums only to find the shoes to be almost gone.. that wasnt the noise so i threw em back together, ended up being u joints.. well the noise was gone after a set of new ujoints.. but the thought of my drum brakes already starting to wear out really ate away at me.. see i just did new drums and shoes last summer.. i guess the ol saying u get what u pay for really applies here.. well as time went by and i priced out new stuff to do the rear brakes i came across a guy selling a rearend out of an01 f150 for 200 bucks.. my plan quickly went from replacing the drums to straight swapping out the rear end in favor of a disc brake rear end.. i picked up the axle and it sat for about 2 months because i lost my job and didnt have the money.. well i finally got another job, granted not the best right now but it will have to do since im still in school..

i did however decide since i do have a spare axle, now would be the perfect time to upgrade to a set of 4.10s.. something i have always wanted to do.. i got a deal on a set of ford 4.10 gears brand new for 100 bucks.. i didnt rebuild the rearend perse bcause it only had 75k on it.. so i just swapped the gear, bought new rotors, which are huge by the way and reused the stock pads since they looked so good still.. thankfully all the brake lines and calipers were in good working condition.. i reassmebled the rear end and on friday last week iwas able to swap out the rear ends.. alot easier than u think it would be.. after i got the brakes bled i took her out for a test drive and WOW does this truck stop a whole hell of alot better.. and now that its been dry enough and i have some miles on it, all i can say about 4.10s is HOLY MOTHER OF GOD... i love it sooooooooo much.. it makes driving this truck everyday much more enjoyable.. the acceleration compared to b4 is outstanding.. its so much fun to drive .. feels likes its always in the power band now.. an when it shiftsinto 2nd it pulls alot hader than it ever did.. i have found a new love for my truck again..

i do have a question though.. in the process of swapping the rearend i installd teh belltech shims with the thick side facing forward.. not knowing how i had them b4 i called belltech and they said i had them on the right way.. well it was a relief because i had the thick side facing towards the rear on the stoc axle ... so just for peace of mind can anyone tell me for sure that the thick side should be facing forward??.. please and thank you.. and if you are ever thinking of 4.10s.. DOO IT... you wont regret it.. bes mod to my truck to date..

ahhok i feel better now that i was able to share this story..

Quick Reply: axle swap story (long) belltech Q and 4.10s..