1997 - 2003 F-150

How often should a the fuel injectors be replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How often should a the fuel injectors be replaced?

I am wondering, because i read on this site and others, that they can go bad rather unknowingly. I would alos like to know becuase i am thinkng that is where my fuel mileage ran off to. 150k, 4.6, oe injectors, recently changed fuel filter and i and i had a stint of smoke come out, at first i thought it might have been normal considering i cycled the key bout 15 times to fill the filter and rail back up, but i have been reading the might stick open.. and i heard this eventually causes the "hydrolock", which i would also like to know the what the meaning of hydrolocked is.
Thanx

Old 05-22-2009, 11:02 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never replaced fuel injectors on anything I have ever owned but I have never had a Ford modular motor before either. In my other rides I found that as long as your injectors are clean they last a very long time. If you are worried about them they are not hard to replace.

Hydrolock is fluid in the cylinder that will stop the piston from making its full revolution usually resulting in a lot of damage.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:43 PM
253,000 miles on my 91 F250 on the original injectors, no problems.

I was going to change them a few years ago just because they had over 100k on them, but when I found out what they cost I decided not to.....

Change fuel filter regularly, use good quality fuel and maybe a bottle of fuel injector cleaner once in a while......

I wouldn't mess with them until there is a problem.

I think the hydrolock issue was mainly on the V6 motors....

Old 05-22-2009, 09:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I changed mine @ 185,000 miles. No noticeable difference, -I updated because it was cheaper to purchase new ones than it was to clean my current set, soo.. - I went ahead and purchased the Bosch Type 3's.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:15 PM
jbrew, whatca pay for those, and what lb are they, i was thinking bout going to 24lbs if that would change anything, my main concern is that the are just dumping fuel cause my mileage to friggin drop to lik 10 - 11 mpgs, under fairly normal driving i mean i hardly ever go over 3k, and when it is like a 45 i will do like 42 just cuz that is only like 1150.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by 97_MarkIII
jbrew, whatca pay for those, and what lb are they, i was thinking bout going to 24lbs if that would change anything, my main concern is that the are just dumping fuel cause my mileage to friggin drop to lik 10 - 11 mpgs, under fairly normal driving i mean i hardly ever go over 3k, and when it is like a 45 i will do like 42 just cuz that is only like 1150.
I wouldn't go with 24 lb'ers - for one , you not even close to needing them and there will be No benefit. I've heard you can run them, -mileage won't change, but their more expensive.

The Bosch type 3's (19's) can be had on Ebay. Just type it in ebay search. I paid $60 for my set, but they came from a crown vic crate motor and I got a deal, - ended up purchasing the harness and other parts from those motors. Search ebay - Guys get those engines from the Romeo plant and part them out on ebay. I use to see 2 a year get parted out.

Other than that, you can always buy used that have been sonic cleaned. They might be around $100 tho.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by jbrew
I wouldn't go with 24 lb'ers - for one , you not even close to needing them and there will be No benefit. I've heard you can run them, -mileage won't change, but their more expensive.

The Bosch type 3's (19's) can be had on Ebay. Just type it in ebay search. I paid $60 for my set, but they came from a crown vic crate motor and I got a deal, - ended up purchasing the harness and other parts from those motors. Search ebay - Guys get those engines from the Romeo plant and part them out on ebay. I use to see 2 a year get parted out.

Other than that, you can always buy used that have been sonic cleaned. They might be around $100 tho.
So you mean something like this below

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/8-For...Q5fAccessories

Or these, they said the are bosch 2 but what is the difference, is it better atomization of the fuel or steadier streams,(iDK)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FUEL-...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by 97_MarkIII; 05-23-2009 at 09:08 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:42 PM

Design 2's didn't last long. The problems with stock injectors and design 2's is the hats or Pintle covers. They fracture,crack or just fall off and can cause problems. Just try fishing one of those out when they fall off lol.
Design/Type 3's use a 4 hole spray pattern. Stock is two hole. Design 2 is 4 hole, but have the same problems as the stock injectors have.

Old 05-23-2009, 09:56 PM
ahh ok, so the 4 holes atomize better, and the stage three are more reliable(BETTER), right, any way to really tell if the injectors are bad or is that just one of those things.
Cuz if they are not bad i'll leave'em there.
Other than them having fractures or cracks, what falls off the injector, or the injector cap, and i read there is a filter in them, is there.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:41 PM

It's the cap that falls off, but they usually don't fall off until you attempt to remove them lol - I've seen them missing before and no where to be found

Here yuh go - page 38 =

http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=38

Mark this site (FFI) , it's a good one.

Last edited by jbrew; 05-23-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:24 PM
It's the cap that falls off, but they usually don't fall off until you attempt to remove them lol - I've seen them missing before and no where to be found

Here yuh go - page 38 =

http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=38

Mark this site (FFI) , it's a good one.
friggin awesome thanx, so there is a few things internally that can go wrong, how do they work...
The electrical charge, charges the magnet to pull that valvle up, then when icreased it pulls it up farther, and when decreased the spring pushes it back down.
Correct?...
And by this site i can go with 14lbs cuz i only make 210 stock and she is stock so.. or am i wrong on my calcumalations

Old 05-23-2009, 11:46 PM

friggin awesome thanx, so there is a few things internally that can go wrong, how do they work...
The electrical charge, charges the magnet to pull that valvle up, then when icreased it pulls it up farther, and when decreased the spring pushes it back down.
Correct?...
And by this site i can go with 14lbs cuz i only make 210 stock and she is stock so.. or am i wrong on my calcumalations
You want 19 lbs - Ford uses 19 lb injectors in the 3.8's. I would stick with those. I never heard of anyone going lower lol.

Not sure what engine you have ? The 97 4.2L = 205 HP / 4.6L = 220 HP/ 5.4L = 235 HP

Old 05-23-2009, 11:48 PM
Oh I for some odd reason remember readin in the manual i make 210 IDK your more right considering what i have seen you know around here, yea going lowere was to save fuel but i dont know if that would even help

Old 05-24-2009, 12:32 AM

Oh I for some odd reason remember readin in the manual i make 210 IDK your more right considering what i have seen you know around here, yea going lowere was to save fuel but i dont know if that would even help
Huh, yea I have the spec sheets, well one of us has to be right lol.

Old 05-24-2009, 06:59 PM
Huh, yea I have the spec sheets, well one of us has to be right lol.
i think you are right( I know your right)

Quick Reply: How often should a the fuel injectors be replaced?