1997 - 2003 F-150

Gryphon or other tuner

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gryphon or other tuner

Who here has a gryphon, or any other custom tuner on their truck. I hear they are night and day with the 04+, but what about our trucks? I really want a gryphon, but haven't heard the same night and day speech about our trucks with them.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:43 PM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
I use a SCT Xcal2 on two of my vehicles

custom tuned is the only way to go

Old 02-14-2009, 12:50 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love my edge evolution

Old 02-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Would the gryphon make a big difference? I read about how it isn't much of a change on these trucks. Just mainly the 04+.
Tara, your trucks aren't exactly the normal 97-03 5.4, so how would a tuner do on a normal 5.4?

Old 02-14-2009, 02:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the first generation edge on my 2001 expedition, and had it on my 98 F150 4x4 before that. On the 98 we timed it on a vericom before and after and it showed a .3 second, and 2 mph difference, not to mention about a 2 mpg increase in mileage, and much better transmission performance. I don't really have a baseline on my Epxd, as I programmed it the day I brought it home.

Last edited by Glen R; 02-14-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by JNC995
Would the gryphon make a big difference? I read about how it isn't much of a change on these trucks. Just mainly the 04+.
Tara, your trucks aren't exactly the normal 97-03 5.4, so how would a tuner do on a normal 5.4?

once upon a time I had no supercharger on the green truck, I ran a hypertech until I hit the point of no return and I started using the xcal2 and custom tunes for the larger injectors and other mods at that time

the expedition only has a "gotts intake" and custom tunes and the driveability is alot better and it gets better mileage (3 mpgs on the highway)

a custom tune affects the torque management, torque converter lockup, shift points, timing, etc

Old 02-14-2009, 05:53 PM
You know, you could of just said it won't change a thing, and I could of saved around $500.

Thanks for the info

Old 02-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
You know, you could of just said it won't change a thing, and I could of saved around $500.

Thanks for the info
You want money well spent on a tune? Forget about canned tunes. If your stock, you'll need an intake, longtube headers and exhaust. Cold air in/Flow out.

Then head to the speed shop, - one with a Dyno. A good speed shop will sell you an Xcal. Set it up so that your custom Dyno tuned the day you pick up the programmer.

With those two hardware mods and custom tunes (for dial in), you'll be happy for a week or so.

Then the bug bites yuh - you'll want a Super Charger.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:03 PM
You can get custom tunes from a gryphon.
Don't know about going to a speed shop around here. Half the shops are crooks, the other half are double the price I would pay back home.

I have the gotts intake mod. Not much of an exhaust. Going to be dumping it tomorrow.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:55 PM

You can get custom tunes from a gryphon.
Don't know about going to a speed shop around here. Half the shops are crooks, the other half are double the price I would pay back home.

I have the gotts intake mod. Not much of an exhaust. Going to be dumping it tomorrow.
Nevermind

Old 02-15-2009, 05:44 AM

I have the gotts intake mod.
the "gotts intake" is fine I ran mine with 24# injectors and was still getting enough air into the engine

Originally Posted by jbrew
Then the bug bites yuh - you'll want a Super Charger
Hey jbrew how come a supercharger hasn't found it's way onto your truck yet????

Old 02-15-2009, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by tarajerame
the "gotts intake" is fine I ran mine with 24# injectors and was still getting enough air into the engine.
Yea, but without some improvement on the opposite end to go with, she'll get constipated, make strange noises and do funny things

Well, that's what I was trying to tell him ^^^^ up there, but it didn't take lol. For the most part, there's some good tuners around this site, but if you want very noticeable improvement with an 02 model - she's gotta breath in and flow first.

Originally Posted by tarajerame
Hey jbrew how come a supercharger hasn't found it's way onto your truck yet????
The SC fund fell to an all time low ~ A kit COMPLETE is pricy, specially one in the crate. Perfect scenario = Bolt it down, thro a Walbro in the tank and head to the Dyno. $$$$$ - Maybe next winter.

Last edited by jbrew; 02-15-2009 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:06 PM
The price I was finding for pacesetter longtubes are 300. Or you can get the armor coated one for 400+. That is the same as a programmer. The programmer, from what I'm told, does more than a set of headers. My exhaust might not be a 600 set up, but I think I will see more changes with a tuner with custom tunes, then I would a set of headers. Plus I heard the header install is a pain in the ****, and better left to the pros. So I would have to pay for that. Then, if I didn't get the coated ones, the paint would be peeled off after 5 days. Which would require an uninstall to paint with good stuff, then a reinstall. Seems like much of a hassle to me.

I was reading the reviews, and someone put down that you have to replace the pacesetters about every 2-3 years. This true, or is that guy fibbing?

I'm not looking for racing performance either. In fact, I drive relatively slow. I'm looking at a tuner for more then just the go fast part.

Last edited by JNC995; 02-15-2009 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:27 PM

The price I was finding for pacesetter longtubes are 300. Or you can get the armor coated one for 400+. That is the same as a programmer. The programmer, from what I'm told, does more than a set of headers. My exhaust might not be a 600 set up, but I think I will see more changes with a tuner with custom tunes, then I would a set of headers.

I was reading the reviews, and someone put down that you have to replace the pacesetters about every 2-3 years. This true, or is that guy fibbing?

I'm not looking for racing performance either. In fact, I drive relatively slow. I'm looking at a tuner for more then just the go fast part.
A tuner can tweak your A/F ratios slightly over the stock set up, but nothing major in YOUR model, the biggest difference is the shift points/pump pressure (trans tables). The 04's + from the factory are under-tuned, you can do more with those IMO.

LT's are an easy SOLID source of power - Improves scavenging, this is needed for flow. A 30/35 + Increase with an intake. BUT, it has to be worked into the tune, they work together. A tune alone doesn't do all that much IMO. An intake and LT's alone, - you won't see the potential without dialing them in. I wouldn't waste the money on a tune with the 97-03 models unless I had the hardware first. One step at a time, your on #2 - What happen to #1 ?

BTW- This isn't about racing, - It's about keeping the torque and power where you'll use most. However, If you want to race - there's a tune for that, - it's just a matter of loading it and booting up.

I'm done lol.

Last edited by jbrew; 02-15-2009 at 08:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Gryphon or other tuner