Disc Brakes On Rear

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2002, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Disc Brakes On Rear

I WAS THINKING OF SWITCHING TO DISC BRAKES ON REAR LIKE THE NEW FX4'S ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT AFTER MARKET BRAKE WOULD BE BEST .

Old 01-19-2002, 01:57 AM
There really is nothing out there unless you want to drop about 2k for the brembos!

You can try to find an axle from a 99+ truck with rear disc:

http://car-part.com

So far the cheapest I have seen them has been about $700 complete. While not bad, I would think that in a year or two the price will be half of that.

Old 01-19-2002, 07:14 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
If you have rear drum brakes, count your blessings. The factory rear brake rotors WARP!!! My truck is a 2000F150Supercab 4X4. Most of the miles I put on my truck are road miles running empty. Shortly after the 36K warranty ran out I noticed the rotors were warped due to the rear end bouncing up and down when braking as the axle twisted back and forth. After putting new Autozone rotors on, they lasted about 1K miles before they too warped. My original pads are like new, so I know they haven't been sticking.
Before this truck, I had a 1994 short wheel base off road model F150 4x4. It had rear drum brakes with rear only ABS. I could stop very quickly with that truck, much better than the new one. I could lock up the front wheels easily even with 31x10.5x15 tires. I wish the new truck had the 94 Truck brakes!!
Ford screwed up on the new rear disc brakes!!!!!!

Old 01-19-2002, 10:00 PM
I forgot to add that you need to get the Master CYlinder from the truck you get the rear disc bracks from.

Roadie, you never want to be able to lock up the brakes. Anyone can spike the brakes to make that happen. That does not tell you how good or bad the brakes are. Read up:

http://www.baer.com/faq.shtm

"I can already lock my brakes (or engage the ABS), so what can a better brake system do for me?
Although virtually any brake system can be spiked into locking a rotor or activating the ABS, the true measure of a performance brake system is how close it allows you to come to the point just shy of locking. This is affected by a number of elements. Some of the most important are caliper stability and leverage affect on the rotor, which increases with rotor diameter. In simple terms, the more stable a caliper and the more evenly it can apply the pads to the rotor surface, the faster your car will stop."

For your issue with the rear rotors, you may want to check the Ebrake shoes to make sure they are not dragging. That is about a 13" solid rotor there and should last a long time. It does not seem to common of an issue out there.

Plus DRUMS SUCK! They fade and are horrid on pedal feel and modulation!

Quick Reply: Disc Brakes On Rear