cold temp and tpms??

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 01:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cold temp and tpms??

Have 2014 STX. It was cold out today 50s. Drove home from work at 1045pm. Well the TPMS light came on and displayed low tire pressure.

Also tires came from the dealership with nitrogen in the tires.

Does the temp have an effect on the TPMS????

How hard is it to take care of light Do-it-yourself style????

What wonderful version of TPMS comes on these trucks???

thanks marc

Old 11-22-2015, 10:12 AM
Global Moderator &

Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Marc, from what I read in my 2014 Owner's Manual, the TPMS in our trucks is an actual "pressure sensing" system as opposed to one that detects differences in tire rotation speeds between wheels that would indicate a low tire. I think our kind is superior to the other kind.

But, in cold temperatures, your tire pressures drop. Probably, in the winter, you need to add air (or nitrogen) to your tires to bring the cold pressure back up to spec. I'm sure that was why you had the low tire pressure alert.

It's fine to add ordinary air to a nitrogen filled tire to increase the pressure. Air is 78% nitrogen, so the amount of other gasses (primarily oxygen) will be minimal. The next time you have your truck in for servicing, you can have them replace the contents with pure nitrogen again.

Nitrogen filled tires have two main benefits:
1. There is no oxygen, which can attack the interior of a tire and degrade it. Personally, since the outside of our tires is constantly exposed to ordinary air, I wonder how much of a benefit this really is?

2. There is no moisture in pure nitrogen. Therefore, you don't have water vapor inside your tire which expands and contracts at a different rate due to temperature than air. So, your pressures should be more "stable". But, in the winter, outside air is generally much dryer anyway, so as long as you top off your tires on a day when the humidity is low, you will not be introducing much water.
So, if I were you, I'd simply check my tires in the morning when they're cold and pump them up to the door sticker pressure if any are low.

- Jack

Old 11-24-2015, 01:23 AM
First thanks for reply.

What owners manual are you reading because mine has nothing like what you are telling me or talking about. It barely tells me anything of real importance about the TPMS.

What about the light????? If I am correct its not a self correcting system??? Once light comes on there is only one way to turn it off. manually!!!

Is it not the point of having nitrogen in tires to avoid having to worry about this every problem??? Think Firestone and the Ford Explorer and other vehicles caused the TPMS to be installed on vehicles. Also the reason ford went to nitrogen in their tires from dealerships?? Is because of the problem people had with not paying attention to the tire pressure!!!

Not to mention the way Ford manuf. the vehicles that had the problem. High center of gravity. Same thing the jeep had long time ago CJ-7.

My truck doesn't have the "rake" anymore. Everybody wants a LVL truck!!!!!

Ok said to much. hope it makes sense, sorta. THE LIGHT BOSS THE LIGHT BOSS

Old 11-24-2015, 10:57 AM
Ford Customer Service Team
Originally Posted by K.R.newbie
First thanks for reply.

What owners manual are you reading because mine has nothing like what you are telling me or talking about. It barely tells me anything of real importance about the TPMS...
Hi Marc,

Information about your TPMS can be found in the third printing of your Owner's Manual, starting on page 283. Download a free copy here: https://owner.ford.com/tools/account...014/Ford/F-150 You can inflate your tires to the proper pressure to turn the light off. If you feel that the system is malfunctioning, I recommend making an appointment at your dealership for diagnosis. How many miles are on your truck?

Crystal

Old 11-24-2015, 11:12 AM
Global Moderator &

First thanks for reply.

What owners manual are you reading because mine has nothing like what you are telling me or talking about. It barely tells me anything of real importance about the TPMS.

What about the light????? If I am correct its not a self correcting system??? Once light comes on there is only one way to turn it off. manually!!!

Is it not the point of having nitrogen in tires to avoid having to worry about this every problem??? Think Firestone and the Ford Explorer and other vehicles caused the TPMS to be installed on vehicles. Also the reason ford went to nitrogen in their tires from dealerships?? Is because of the problem people had with not paying attention to the tire pressure!!!

Not to mention the way Ford manuf. the vehicles that had the problem. High center of gravity. Same thing the jeep had long time ago CJ-7.

My truck doesn't have the "rake" anymore. Everybody wants a LVL truck!!!!!

Ok said to much. hope it makes sense, sorta. THE LIGHT BOSS THE LIGHT BOSS
OkeyDokes - Please don't shoot the messenger, I'm just an ordinary Ford owner like you. Let me try to address your questions.

The Owner's Manual I'm talking abut is mine, for my 2014 truck. I had another post somewhere in this forum where I complained that the section regarding the TPMS was designed too well, so it was hard to find. This is what my manual says for getting the light to go off after adjusting tire pressure though (Page 285 in the Wheels and Tires section):
Make sure tires are at the proper pressure. See Inflating your tires in this chapter. After inflating your tires to the
manufacturer’s recommended pressure as shown on the Tire Label (located on the edge of driver’s door or the B-Pillar),
the vehicle must be driven for at least two minutes over 20 mph (32 km/h) before the light turns off.
So, unless you have a different system, and I don't know why you would, you should be able to get your light to go out if you have your tires inflated properly and have driven for a bit. You shouldn't have to "retrain" your system, but if you do, look for a section labeled: "Tire Pressure Monitoring System Reset Procedure". That's what it's called in my manual.

Yes, having nitrogen in the tires SHOULD minimize the pressure changes due to temperature changes, but it still occurs. We can't revise Charles's Law - Pressure is ALWAYS proportional to temperature.

A high center of gravity or vehicle rake has nothing to do with tire pressures.

Marc, if you're still having trouble, I suggest you take the truck to your dealership for troubleshooting and correction. It should be covered under your warranty.

Edit: I see Crystal beat me to the punch. You might have an "early version" of the Owner's Manual that doesn't have the needed info. Follow her link to get the updated one.

- Jack

Last edited by JackandJanet; 11-24-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old 11-30-2015, 12:14 PM
The owners manual I have does have something in it about the TPMS. Not nearly what it should have.

Also got the problem fixed at Goodyear place.

My rant stemmed from the nitrogen in the tires and the TPMS coming on. Prolly doesn't have nitrogen in them. My understanding is the nitrogen is suppose to keep the
TPMS from coming on for this reason.

I had a 2013 ford that didn't have this problem and it went thru a winter without a sniffle.

Sorry if I shot to many times. The high center of gravity does have an effect on tire pressure in a way that is indirect. if you have a rake or a Lvl truck like these are,,, you have to pay attention to the tire pressure more on a LVL truck then on a rake truck. more likely to roll over. Does that Charles law consider nitrogen or just normal air in a tire???

no in another way it doesn't affect air pressure. so the system is self correcting?????? did they tell you that in the owners manual.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 calm marc

Last edited by K.R.newbie; 11-30-2015 at 12:22 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 11-30-2015, 01:57 PM
Global Moderator &

The owners manual I have does have something in it about the TPMS. Not nearly what it should have.

Also got the problem fixed at Goodyear place.

My rant stemmed from the nitrogen in the tires and the TPMS coming on. Prolly doesn't have nitrogen in them. My understanding is the nitrogen is suppose to keep the
TPMS from coming on for this reason.

I had a 2013 ford that didn't have this problem and it went thru a winter without a sniffle.

Sorry if I shot to many times. The high center of gravity does have an effect on tire pressure in a way that is indirect. if you have a rake or a Lvl truck like these are,,, you have to pay attention to the tire pressure more on a LVL truck then on a rake truck. more likely to roll over. Does that Charles law consider nitrogen or just normal air in a tire???

no in another way it doesn't affect air pressure. so the system is self correcting?????? did they tell you that in the owners manual.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 calm marc
Charles's Law simply relates pressure to temperature for ANY gas. It doesn't matter if the gas is nitrogen, oxygen, helium or whatever; if the temperature drops, so does the pressure if the enclosing volume stays constant.

Having nitrogen in the tires will not prevent the TPMS from issuing a warning. The warning comes on when the pressure drops lower than some "set" value, regardless of the kind of gas inside the tire.

A high center of gravity will reduce roll stability, but I doubt tire pressure has a significant effect, unless one or more tires become drastically under-inflated, then handling will suffer - the steering will become "squirrely".

- Jack

Quick Reply: cold temp and tpms??