Go Back   F150online Forums > Powertrain & Mechanical > Wheels, Tires & Brakes
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos Vin Decoder FAQ Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Vendor DirectoryGarage

Wheels, Tires & Brakes

Welcome to F150Online Forums!
Welcome to F150Online.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the F150Online Forums community today!

Old 02-08-2010, 10:24 AM
Garage is empty, add now

Largest Tire Size on 2010 F150 4x4

Friend just purchased a 2010 F150 4x4 .. he is trying to determine the largest tire size he can put on his new baby w/o a lift kit... any experience?

Thanks in advance..

Wayne
Old 02-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Garage is empty, add now

As a note.. I can't find my old id or pw..unfortunately, had to sell my 2001 F150 (sad day).. didn't want you to think I came in w/ immediate questions on my 1st post ..
Old 02-08-2010, 12:11 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2005 ford Expedition
If he uses the OEM wheels and adds a leveling kit he can fit a 35x12.50 tire but they will rub the control arms slightly at full steering lock. If he doesn't want a leveling kit, I'd stick with a 33x12.50 tire.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:14 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2010 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtruitt View Post
Friend just purchased a 2010 F150 4x4 .. he is trying to determine the largest tire size he can put on his new baby w/o a lift kit... any experience?

Thanks in advance..

Wayne
I don't know what is the absolute largest tire that will fit without rubbing nor do I know what you mean by "largest" (diameter, width or air volume). I also don't understand why that would be the most important consideration because you have not told us what and where the truck will be used.

Selecting a good tire for the intended uses is one of the most important things a truck owner can do to provide the best performance and driving experience.

What is important?
Will the truck be towing or hauling heavy loads on a regular basis?
Will it be covering a lot of miles on the highway or used on a farm or mostly in city driving?
What gear ratio/engine does the truck have?
What is the trucks GVWR?
What size rims does it have?
What type of ground/terrain will it see off-road?
Will it see snow/ice/deep snow?
Is fuel economy a consideration?

In most cases I recommend avoiding the widest tires in favor of going taller (unless floatation on soft or loose ground is of primary importance). A narrower tire will give superior deep snow performance, provide crisper handling, minimize hydroplaning potential, return better fuel economy and range on a tank of fuel, be better for technical off-road trails and logging roads, they will accelerate faster and put less wear on the brakes. A narrower tire will also cost less to purchase and put less strain on the steering and chassis components the wheel is connected to. And this is purely subjective but, on a truck, I think a narrower tire just looks better. But I am a form follows function kind of guy, especially when it comes to the most important part of the truck, the tires.

The primary benefit of an extra-wide tire is more floatation on soft ground at the expense of all the above qualities.

With more information on how the truck is configured and what it will be used for I'm sure you will get a lot more useful info.
Old 02-08-2010, 12:27 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real View Post
What is important?
Will the truck be towing or hauling heavy loads on a regular basis?
Will it be covering a lot of miles on the highway or used on a farm or mostly in city driving?
What gear ratio/engine does the truck have?
What is the trucks GVWR?
What size rims does it have?
What type of ground/terrain will it see off-road?
Will it see snow/ice/deep snow?
Is fuel economy a consideration?
Great questions..
This is 2010 XLT 4x4 (I'm envious..)
Important - Traction off road - camping / fishing, though this will also be a daily driver .. used to commute to work on highway
Heavy loads? - Not normal
Travel mainly highway miles..
Not sure of gear ratio or gvwr
18" rims (possibly move to 20")
Ground terrain - Gravel / dirt (mountain terrain)
Some snow .. travels to Virginia..
Fuel economy is always "some" consideration.. don't want to drain the wallet dry

Thx..
Old 02-08-2010, 12:30 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2005 ford Expedition
I'd suggest a quality all terrian tire like the BFG AT KO, Nitto Terra Grappler, Toyo AT, Pro Comp Xtreme AT, Mickey Thompson ATZ or **** Cepek FC II. Personally, I'd try to find a 305/60-18 (33x12.50).

Old 02-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Thx sir! That was the direction he was heading..
Old 02-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Garage is empty, add now

Vehicle: 2010 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtruitt View Post
Great questions..
This is 2010 XLT 4x4 (I'm envious..)
Important - Traction off road - camping / fishing, though this will also be a daily driver .. used to commute to work on highway
Heavy loads? - Not normal
Travel mainly highway miles..
Not sure of gear ratio or gvwr
18" rims (possibly move to 20")
Ground terrain - Gravel / dirt (mountain terrain)
Some snow .. travels to Virginia..
Fuel economy is always "some" consideration.. don't want to drain the wallet dry

Thx..
If there was any heavy towing/hauling involved and the gear ratio is 3.55, your friend might want to limit the diameter to keep from becoming over-geared. Otherwise it appears to do relatively light service with a lot of highway miles but also needs to perform on a variety of surfaces. I would look at an all-purpose A/T tire like the Silent Armor's in the size of 265/70/18 which is a 32.6" diameter. I just don't see the need for a wider tire and for all the highway miles your friend will be saving a lot of money of fuel and increasing his highway range significantly.

He will probably appreciate the lighter weight (while gaining a bit of sidewall puncture resistance) and more nimble handling too, especially off-road or if he gets caught in a virginia snowstorm.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:17 PM
Garage is empty, add now

What about 285 75 18 toyo mtr? I got a good good deal, checking fit tomorrow. 2010 FX4 s/c. Stock suspension. Think they'll fit?
Old 07-16-2014, 09:17 PM