Tire wear questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2006, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tire wear questions

I had an alignment done about 2 years or so ago. Early this year, I put new tires (Mastercraft Courser C/T) on the truck. Now there seems to be some edge feathering wear starting to develop on the outer edges of the front tires. This type of wear had been visible on the previous/old set of tires (Firestone Wilderness AT) The truck steers fine; no wandering or looseness.
Does the wear mean the alignment was not done properly and I need another alignment? I wasn't real thrilled with the experience at the shop that did the work; definitely won't go back there again.
Does that mean something else is wrong? I read somewhere that if your front springs have lost some of their stiffness over time that will affect tire wear. I've also thought the front springs were not stiff enough.

Old 12-24-2006, 10:38 AM
You might need another alignment. Sounds to me like the "toe" is not correct. I just had new tires put on my rig a week ago and didn't think I needed an alignment. Turned out, the "toe" was out on my L/F tire. Truck didn't pull, etc.

Mike

Old 12-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. A lot of things can happen in two years to knock your alignment out.

Old 12-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Wear on the outer edge of front tires *could* also be caused by aggressive driving and hard cornering especially combined with tire pressure being a little low.

It may not be the alignment at all.

Old 12-24-2006, 04:03 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 134 Likes on 112 Posts
if its just the very edge of the tire, its not an alignment issue. If its more like the first two rows of tread, then you have to start worrying about camber/toe.

Basically if you rub your hands left to right and back across the tread, you shouldnt feel and major jags, or a saw tooth layered effect to the tread.
-Patrick

Quick Reply: Tire wear questions