Rattle inside the steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 09:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rattle inside the steering wheel

Anyone ever had this happen?...

Every time I turn the steering wheel (in either direction) it sounds like a loose bolt/nut inside the steering wheel. I'm a little concerned about this 1. in case something gets loose and I lose control of my steering, and 2. if the airbag goes off and it is a loose nut/bolt there is a projectile problem.

Any help is appreciated on this.

Old 12-15-2005, 10:21 PM
Did you buy the truck used? If so, I would have that checked out right away. It's not uncommon for a vehicle to be involved in a collision and the airbag not be replaced. It's very expensive. If you are the only owner, I would still get it checked out. It's one of those scary sounds for me. Don't like to take chances with steering or brakes.

good luck.

Old 12-28-2005, 02:16 PM
Originally Posted by expy03
Did you buy the truck used? If so, I would have that checked out right away. It's not uncommon for a vehicle to be involved in a collision and the airbag not be replaced. It's very expensive. If you are the only owner, I would still get it checked out. It's one of those scary sounds for me. Don't like to take chances with steering or brakes.

good luck.
Nope, it just happened all of the sudden...

Old 01-01-2006, 04:25 PM
MFA
I have the same problem with my '94 F-150. I bought it new back in '94 and I started noticing the noise when the truck was ~2 years old. I had the dealer check it out, but all I got was "could not duplicate customer concern."

This past summer my airbag light started flashing, but it's well out of warranty, and it's nothing I want to spend money on, so I haven't looked into fixing it.

Old 01-26-2006, 05:57 PM
Found the problem today... on the back side of the steering wheel there is a plug on both sides of the wheel itself. These plugs hide an access to a bolt. Mine had simply come undone. Tightened it back and all is right!

Quick Reply: Rattle inside the steering wheel