Question about Brake Life

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 11:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about Brake Life

I had a mechanic look at my brakes and he said I had about 40% left. He also said that I should look into new brakes real soon because the last 50% of brakes go MUCH faster than the first 50%. I was wondering if this was true?

Also, I was wondering who makes a really good aftermarket pad? I'm not concerned with price as long as I'm getting top-notch quality. Along with this, is an OEM rotor worth putting a top-quality pad on? Or do you suggest investing in high quality aftermarket rotors? Thanks in advance.

-slippy

Old 04-20-2005, 11:45 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Question about Brake Life

Originally posted by slippysmit
I had a mechanic look at my brakes... He also said that I should look into new brakes real soon because the last 50% of brakes go MUCH faster than the first 50%. I was wondering if this was true?...
50% of the time the mechanics are wrong and 50% of the time the mechanics are right. But the 50% of the time they are wrong is MUCH more often than when they are right.

You can tell that mechanic I said that.

Old 04-21-2005, 12:51 PM
Post Re: Question about Brake Life

Originally posted by slippysmit
I had a mechanic look at my brakes and he said I had about 40% left. He also said that I should look into new brakes real soon because the last 50% of brakes go MUCH faster than the first 50%. I was wondering if this was true?

Also, I was wondering who makes a really good aftermarket pad? I'm not concerned with price as long as I'm getting top-notch quality. Along with this, is an OEM rotor worth putting a top-quality pad on? Or do you suggest investing in high quality aftermarket rotors? Thanks in advance.

-slippy
It might of been his way of saying that when the first 50% go you still have 50%. When the second 50% go it is too late. In other words don't wait to the last minute. My old man (God rest his soul) was adamant about brakes always being in top condition. Brake failure is not an option!

I have been looking to upgrade the brakes on my 98. Brake pads seem to be a very individual choice as I 've read lots of recommendations. I am leaning toward the EBC pads myself.
My criteria is based primarily on eveyday perfomance.

Some things to consider are what is most important and necessary to you. Longevity, brake pad dust, noise, and so on.

Also any specific needs, such as racing, towing, mudding, you get the idea.

I am consider replacing the rotors soon also as mine are original. Again many choices. Has anyone had any personal experience with 4lifebrakes rotors. Pick yours based on your needs and the personal recommendations of our fellow Onli.ners
Let us know what you choose and how they work for ya.

Old 04-22-2005, 10:22 PM
I got 35000 out of my original 2003 expedition front pads. They made a lot of brake dust the whole time and wore the rotors quite a bit too. I replaced them at the time with autozone duralast rotors and pads. Again brake dust was bad and the rotors were wearing a lot. They started to develop a squeek at 40000 as you approch a stop. By 50000 they were starting to pulsate also. Since I was under a year I pulled them off to get warranty rotor replacements for the pulsation. The replacement pads were half worn down. Here I decided to try the EBC 7000 supreme SUV Kevlar pads. I have about 500 miles on them so far and at least no squeek, no pull, and no pulsation. They do get the front rims dirty still but not as much.

Old 04-23-2005, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the help guys...keep the comments coming.

I don't seem to have too much of a problem with brake dust, I guess b/c I clean my wheels so much, but I have noticed the newer models give off a LOT of dust.

My main thing is I don't want a pad that squeaks.

-slippy

Old 04-27-2005, 09:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 100,000 miles on my pads and rotors. Original equipment on 02 F-150. I don't stop very often mostly highway miles.

Old 04-27-2005, 10:00 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking

100,000 miles?
You got State inspections in Mississippi?
How about Stop Signs?

I won't ask about Traffic Lights 'cause then I would assumming ya'll got electricity.

Trending Topics

Old 04-27-2005, 10:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought my truck with 37K, looks like the previous owner had the dealer install Motorcraft ceramic pads on all four corners. They require slightly higher pedal pressure than most trucks, but I got used to that within a few weeks. I have almost no dust and no squeeks. After a few months I trusted the brakes enough to pull a trailer and the truck stops great when pulling a load. Better than I expected with the required pedal pressure.

When the day comes that I need brakes again, I'll most likely get either Motorcraft or NAPA ceramics. I'm very pleased with the Motorcraft ceramics.

Old 04-27-2005, 10:21 PM
Thanks RJS...

I've heard good things about Motorcraft too, not to mention I have 0 complaints about the OEM pads. Since they are Mastercraft, I might as well stick with 'em

-slippy

Old 04-28-2005, 05:29 AM
I agree with Rocky when it comes to the ceramic pads. I do a lot of stop & go driving down here and my original pads lasted less than 30K. I keep my truck pretty clean and I had big problems with brake dust. after i switched to cereamics, i have little to no dust, no brake noise, and no fading when they heat up. my stopping distance also improved.

Quick Reply: Question about Brake Life