Disintergrating Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 09:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Disintergrating Rotors

Please bear with me on this as I'm a bit naive to brakes and rotors. In order inspect my 2002 F-150 today, the dealer said they would have to replace the front rotors and recommended the brakes too. The truck has 32k on it. I looked at the rotors when I picked up my truck tonight and they looked terrible, completely corroded.

Material is missing from the faces and they were brown and rusted. I realize living in Pennsylvania with road salt that metal corrodes, but I drive my truck every day. Is this common for the braking surfaces of the rotor to decay like this being in use all the time? I would think using the brakes daily would keep this area clean and free of gouges and rust. Any opinions?

Matt

Old 02-27-2005, 03:04 AM
Re: Disintergrating Rotors

Originally posted by msteis
Is this common for the braking surfaces of the rotor to decay like this being in use all the time?
Unfortunately, it's common for Ford rotors to decay quickly in general. Rotors, even just pads, should not require replacement within the warranty period of a vehicle. The warranty for our trucks specifically states that it does not include "wearable" parts, such as brake pads, etc. But rotors should not be a wearable part, at least not like pads. I would try to see if I could get them replaced under warranty. If this dealer won't, try another dealer (assuming there's another one within reasonable distance). I've heard of people with under 36K getting this done under warranty because rotors are a known and common problem with Ford trucks, especially our models (97-03). If you can't find a dealer that will do it, try calling Ford customer service. Assuming pads are changed regularly and within reasonable time (usually 20K-35K front and 40K-60K rear), rotors should not wear noticeably until well after warranty is out.

If you can't get anyone to replace rotors for free and Ford won't help, for the love of God, don't buy replacements from Ford. They'll do the same thing in another 30K. Buy Brembo if you want (relatively) inexpensive, or PowerSlot if you want to spend a little more money for a really nice rotor. You can find these at TireRack.com. If you have just a little mechanical ability and a few hours, you can install them yourself (search for my name in this forum to find directions for 2WD application). Or you can get them installed by a brake shop (you might want to buy them there if you go with a shop).

No matter where you go replacement rotors are pretty expensive for our massive vehicles, so make sure you're comfortable with your investment. Good luck.

Old 02-27-2005, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the reply Jeff. I think I'm screwed though. Murray's Ford had me over a barrel as I needed new rotors for inspection due at the end of this month. I'll call and see if I can get the rotors back and call Ford customer service. Maybe Ford will refund the price for the rotors.

If anything, I've learned a valuable lesson.

Matt

Old 02-28-2005, 01:04 PM
Rotor will rust quickly. The "shiny" surface you see is bare steel. I can cause mine to rust within minutes by applying wheel cleaner to them. When I clean the wheels on the wifes '02 Mustang the rotors will rust before I'm done cleaning all 4 rims. First time she drives down the road and hits the brakes the rust is gone.

As for how long pads last is a matter of driver operation.
I can get 50,000+ miles out of the pads on my '97 F250 (even with towing) while the wife wore hers out in 29,000 (factory pads).
I also have 121,000 on the original rotors. Never had one cut.
I just recently replaced the rear rotors. I accidently let one side wear down to the steel and it ruined the rotor. My fault. If it wan't for that I'd still have the originals on the rear.

Old 02-28-2005, 08:55 PM
msteis,

I am in the same situation. My truck has 12,000 miles on it, and the driver side rear rotor has gouges in it from what I believe are imperfections in the pad, maybe peices of steel or something I don't know for sure. I traced the gouges to the pad and noticed something odd inside the pad right where the line is.

anyway...

I am taking my truck in Thursday to have the Butyl pad removed, and I plan on mentioning it to the service dept. at that time.

Quick Reply: Disintergrating Rotors