Spare Tire Winch

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2005, 08:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spare Tire Winch

My spare tire winch **** the bed and I'm looking to buy a new one. I'd rather buy a used one if possible but am having trouble locating any yards that have anything for a 2001 Ford F-150. Any suggestions?

Old 02-01-2005, 09:12 AM
$83.81 for the entire assy at the local Ford dealer. Good enuff for me. But seriously, what a horrible design. Can't even crack open the weather case for this thing to fix the snag.

Old 02-01-2005, 09:39 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
There isn't a junkyard around here with a 1997-2003 F series?

They could probably beat $83 but you'd have to take it off.

Old 02-01-2005, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Raoul
There isn't a junkyard around here with a 1997-2003 F series?

They could probably beat $83 but you'd have to take it off.
The winch changed after 2000. And I've tried all the yards I know of around here. Nobody has an F150 that new. Can you believe it? I was suprised, too.

If you know of any yards, please post them. It's only two bolts holding the thing on to the frame. I have no problem with wrenching it myself.

Old 02-01-2005, 09:52 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Didn't know they had changed that.
The winch problems I've read here were pre 2001.
Of all the things they didn't change, you would have thought it would have been changed for the better.

I don't know of any '01 or better being parted out.

Old 02-01-2005, 12:13 PM
tire winch

i am a new f150 owner, and a new-to-ford owner as well. i have been driving my new truck for about 2 weeks, and it beats the heck out of my old set of wheels.

i decided last night that i should check the air in my spare, and this caused my first two gripes with my truck. well, actually one has to do with the truck...the other with my local ford dealer. i realize that ford is trying to keep the spare tire under the truck by using the locking key, but GAWD. it would have been fine if the truck was driven in a sterile environment, but mine has been in the mud (before i owned it) and the tube that leads to the lock was packed with mud. i had to use my air compressor, a water hose and about 30 minutes of elbow grease to get it down. if i had to do it on the road, and it was in that condition, i would be up a creek.

moreover, the engineer that designed the lock key was a retard. it slips off of the nut way too easily, so i am going to get in there this weekend and try to put a regular nut in there that i can access with a socket/extensions. i live in an area where i don't really have to worry about the spare walking (rolling?) off by itself.

my second gripe has to do with the certified pre-owned program. my truck suppossedly came with a 115-point inspection, and i have found a plugged air filter, a burned out tail-light, and incorrect tire pressure in all the tires on the ground. i also wanted to check the spare's air pressure, but the thing had been put in upside down. when i lowered it, i realized it was because the ford guys were too lazy to clean the mud of the side with the stem. like i said, it had been in the mud, so they just turned it over so the underbody looked a little more clean. the spare also only had about 25 psi in it. what a crock of crap.

-matt

Quick Reply: Spare Tire Winch