5.4 stuck

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 05:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4 stuck

Hey there! I'm just signing up but have been reviewing the site for quite a while. I have a 99 f150 7700 with 5.4. I drove an hour to get the truck. It looked great, ran great,drove great. I was very excited to get a nice good running truck for a decent price i drove it an hour home without a single issue. The next morning I go to fire it up and get nothing but a click. Thinking its the starter, i rap on it a few times and it started. I started backing it uo and it dies. Back to the clicking. So I go buy a new starter, get it replaced and still a click. For the hell of it, I check the dipstick and there's no oil at all. At this point I'm panicking . i grab a ratchet and socket and hook it to the harmonic balancer without a breaker bar, and it won't turn. At this point I'm completely disappointed I'm now out the 1500$ I just spent . any suggestions? I didn't/don't have the time or money to purchase and replace the motor . especially seeing how the cab has to be unbolted and lifted up. I spoke with the previous owner which was an older gentleman. He said he knew it needed an oil change. I couldn't imagine there being NO OIL just between oil changes. Any suggestions? Anything at all I can do at all? Any help would be appreciated. Like I stated, it drove fine all the way home. You would think the motor siezing would've happened on the drive home when the motor was seeing 2-2500 rpm constantly. Thanks in advance.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would check all electrical connections make sure they are clean and tight. get some oil in the engine. that would be where I would start. One bad cable connection could be the cause of the click.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:44 PM
Received 220 Likes on 200 Posts
how many miles are on the truck? Put a breaker bar on the balancer nut and see if it turns.

Some old guys are too lazy to service their vehicles and are too cheap to pay someone else to do it.

Old 03-31-2016, 01:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You won't be able to turn the engine by hand using just a short ratchet and socket. You need a breaker bar. I doubt that the engine is seized up. If it was running when you shut it off it should be ok, However you could have gas in one of the cyls from an injector thats allowing gas into the cyl. First top off the engine oil. Then get a breaker bar and 18 mm socket and try turning the engine clockwise. If it still won't budge remove all of the sparkplugs and try again. If gas shoots out of one of the cyls then you have a bad fuel injector and it needs to be changed as it can cause a hydrolock and that will damage the engine. Just work your way through the possibilities regarding why the engine won't turn over. It very well may be something quite simple like a weak battery, bad connection as someone mentioned, etc. I doubt its the engine seized up myself.

Last edited by DYNOTECH; 03-31-2016 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-31-2016, 03:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you make sure to remove spark plugs before trying to turn it over by hand? Make sure to check all electrical too. Bad ground to battery? Check fuel injectors too. I would use a multimeter. If it turns over I would even do a compression text while the plugs are out and see if you have good compression

Quick Reply: 5.4 stuck