Camshaft Position Sensor Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camshaft Position Sensor Issue

Last week, I blew oil all over the engine on my 2009 King Ranch F150 when I changed my oil. To make a long story short, when I removed the oil filter, I did not notice that the old oil filter seal remained on the engine and when I put the new filter on, it blew oil EVERYWHERE. Anyway, this may be linked to the problem I am having now.

Right after this event, the check engine light came on. Took it to my local repair shop and they said I had a bad camshaft position sensor. They were able to replace the old sensor but that didn't solve the problem, so they asked me to come back at a later time since I was in a hurry to leave and go camping. They said the check engine light being on would not cause a problem and it didn't.

Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem? I feel it must be related to the oil event but the shop said they cleaned the connectors and that did no good. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:22 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by fishfun83
Last week, I blew oil all over the engine on my 2009 King Ranch F150 when I changed my oil. To make a long story short, when I removed the oil filter, I did not notice that the old oil filter seal remained on the engine and when I put the new filter on, it blew oil EVERYWHERE. Anyway, this may be linked to the problem I am having now.

Right after this event, the check engine light came on. Took it to my local repair shop and they said I had a bad camshaft position sensor. They were able to replace the old sensor but that didn't solve the problem, so they asked me to come back at a later time since I was in a hurry to leave and go camping. They said the check engine light being on would not cause a problem and it didn't.

Does anyone have any idea what could be the problem? I feel it must be related to the oil event but the shop said they cleaned the connectors and that did no good. Any help would be appreciated.

1. Go get yer codes pulled - Autozone, etc. Post 'em.

2. You have TWO cam position sensors. External oil coating will not damage them - the sensor heads are internal: https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...?highlight=cps

3. Find another shop.

4. Without knowing for certain what the issues/codes are, driving yer truck could cause further damage... Seriously, was camping that important? Yer priorities need some scrutiny.

PM Karl65 - he be a priority scrutinizer, lol

Last edited by MGDfan; 01-17-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:46 PM
1. Two codes were pulled. P0340 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Bank 1 or Single Sensor
P0344 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Intermittent Bank 1 or Single Sensor

2. Maybe a connector with oil?

3. I could do that but this shop has been very fair and honest with me. Worked on my truck for an hour and charged me nothing.

4. I was told it was probably an emissions problem and the engine would not be damaged. My brother-in-law has been driving his truck for over 100,000 miles with the light on with no problems so I figured that would be no damage, and there was not.

Appreciate your response.

Last edited by fishfun83; 01-17-2015 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:19 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well if the truck is running good then reset the codes and continue to drive it. What ever problem if there is a problem will likely throw another code that may give you a better discription of what is going on. Then again you may never have the engine light come back on. JMO

Old 01-18-2015, 01:33 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
OP - roger that.

Don't know if I buy the emission problem claim though .... and those connectors are sealed.

Dynotech - is it possible that the transient loss of pressure upon startup - for longer than a normal startup would see, due to a lot of the oil going somewhere else - would cause a brief skew in cam timing, as the tensioners would have a delay in pumping up?

IIRC the code refuses to clear ( did I read that right?) - you'd think it would clear if the issue was just a transient. Which is why I was cautioning driving it - if were a bonafide valvetrain issue.

MGD

Old 01-18-2015, 04:42 PM
I can clear the codes and upon startup, the check engine light does not come on. If I shut off the engine and restart, the check engine light comes back on with the P0340 and P0344 codes. I may not have been clear in my original post. The shop replaced the cam position sensor but the codes reappeared. The reinstalled my old working cam position sensor and sent me on my way camping.

I am thinking that I have oil somewhere it shouldn't be and it is effecting the wiring to the sensor. Just don't know where to look.

Quick Reply: Camshaft Position Sensor Issue