2003 Expecition EB....5.4 Miss....Is this a Coil Problem??

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 10:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Expecition EB....5.4 Miss....Is this a Coil Problem??

Hey all,

A bit of history here. I have a 2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition with the 5.4 V8 in it. It just clicked over 100K. It has had regular maintenence and been treated pretty good.

About 3 years ago I started having a miss. It got really bad where I couldn't even drive it out of the driveway. It had an error code and I took to one of the shops and had it checked. It came back as a problem with one of the cylinders, either the plug or the coil. I can't do things like this, so my Mom's husband is a whiz at this stuff and he took to it and cleared it right up. It ran fine for a while and then it happened again...got a code for a different cylinder this time. He changed the plug, I think, just like he did the first time. It happened I think 4 times over a year or so and only 1 time did he have to put a new coil in it. It has ran fine ever since.

Now to today.
The other night I was heading out to a fishing trip and it was 4AM and I am going thru the Sam Houston National Forest....in the middle of NOWHERE. I accelerate and notice the same kind of miss, not severe though. I got to my destination and back home and the miss was with me the whole time, but only at above 55mph or when I stepped on it and put a load on the motor. The miss was never unbearable or anything like that, just annoying and knowing that something isn't right and needs corrected.
I got no CHECK ENGINE lights or anything like that. This kind of thing has popped up before and stopped on its own. This happened about 6 months ago and it had a miss for about a week and then it was fine with no intervention at all.

So...with my VERY LIMITED knowledge on the subject, I am thinking that I should probably have all the plugs and coil packs replaced on all 8 cylinders. That seems like it would take care of these annoying problems. I would love to get this fixed and never have to worry about it again as I could never head out on a trip of any distance or honestly sell it to someone with a problem like this.

I don't know what to do or how to take care of it. I won't be doing the work, but rather telling my Mom's Husband what you all would recommend. I wish I could do the work.

What advice would you give on the problem? Is there anything that jumps out at you right off the bat?

The previous times when he replaced the plugs and the coil, the miss was worse than it is now, but it started as a mild miss and in the instance of the first time, grew into a HORRID MISS, one that I thought the motor wouldn't even start.

One more thing, it only seems to happen when I am at highway speed or accelerating from say 45 to 55 or 50 to 60 or something like that. If I go out and started it right now and you drove it and kept it under 45, you'd never know it had a miss until you got to speed or really accelerated up to speed.

Ideas or suggestions?

Thank you for your time and any help you can give me.

MUHerd

Old 09-16-2014, 11:38 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
At 100K, and with yer symptoms, a full plug R&R is indicated.

I would - to save some money - just do the plugs, boots and springs. If codes do pop up that indicate misfires later, then invest in a quality set of COPS - Visteon or Motorcraft only, unless you'd like to spend the rest of your life chasing this particular tail. Yer call (personally, I'd replace all the coils now - keep the originals that were not on a misfiring cylinder for spares).

Procedure: https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...ange-pics.html

It's for a 4.6 but the process is the same.

Ensure only Motorcraft plugs are used - no Champs, Bosch, Autolites, E3's or other brands - these engines are fickle. Cost-no-object best plug is a Denso Iridium IT-16 for yer engine, if you prefer. Plugs need to be installed at 28ft-lbs, DRY (no anti-seize on the threads).

You must apply the dielectric - and do it properly: https://www.f150online.com/forums/20...ml#post5106729

While yer at it have him clean the MAF and TB - with attention to the EGR passages - (both removed from the truck). Look in our How-To tech articles section for procedures for both of those.

Other possibly neglected item - fuel filter ( Motorcraft ). Again - see the tech section.

BTW - for completeness post any and all codes that were/are present in this thread. Could be something else goin' on too - (e.g vac leaks, etc).

MGD

Last edited by MGDfan; 09-16-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 03:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the help and suggestions. I think I will go ahead and make plans to replace the plugs and the COPs. Just makes sense to me. I'm tired of this same problem popping up every now and again and not knowing if the CHECK ENGINE light is going to come on or not and hoping that it just gets back to normal. I also can never go anywhere more than an hour or 2 away. I wouldn't dare try it until I am very comfortable with the engine and the upgrades you suggested.

So, I'll start doing some looking and going to local auto parts stores to price the stuff and see what I come up with. I'll also have to talk to the guy that will be doing this for me and see when he can do it. I am about 1/2 tempted to do it myself. I've watched several YouTube vids and looked at quite a few HOW TO guides on replacing the plugs and the coils and it doesn't look that difficult except for the 2 that are back against the firewall, or real close to it.

Thank you for taking the time to help me. I really appreciate it. I'll be back to tell you if any codes come up or to tell you how things went or what I found out.

Have a good week!

MUHerd

Quick Reply: 2003 Expecition EB....5.4 Miss....Is this a Coil Problem??