4.6L V8 engine stalling once temp stabilizes

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 04:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.6L V8 engine stalling once temp stabilizes

My 99 F150 4.6L V8 has been stalling once the temperature gauge stabilizes. The original problem began when it would die while I was driving it. Now it'll do it just sitting in the driveway (where she's been for far too long now). When it would stall while driving it felt like I downshifted from 3rd to 1st while still going 40mph just prior to losing all power. Sometimes I could give it enough gas to keep it alive but that would only last until I let off the gas or stopped. The EGR valve was cycling really bad and making lots of horrible noises while cycling, so that was the first possibility. Then began the shotgun diagnosis of beginning to replace bits and pieces trying to find the culprit. I am now far into the repairs and it still stalls once temperature stabilizes no matter what I'm doing. When it stalls, it literally acts as though you took the ignition to 'off', although thats not the case. No abnormal noises or anything either when it turns off.

The list of replaces parts are as follows: EGR valve, EGR vacuum solenoid, spark plugs, wires, coil packs, battery, fuel filter, DPFE sensor, IAC valve, PCV valve. I have cleaned the following components/systems with sea foam or respective cleaners: throttle body intake, exhaust, fuel, oil, and MAF sensor. I have unplugged the O2 sensors, ruling those out of the possible problem. Also, the truck wouldn't start to depressurize the fuel system while changing the fuel filter, but I have a feeling that the fuel pump is fine judging by the amount of pressure and fuel there was present. I have looked for a vacuum leak in all hoses and connections and haven't found one anywhere.

Does anyone have any idea or clue what could be causing this to happen? My friends and I are completely stumped! I have been trying to find people with similar issues, but I do the same repairs they did with no avail. I seriously love my truck and miss driving it and want to nurse her back to health! I'm not an auto mechanic, but I am a mechanic by trade. I'm not very good with electrical components though and I have a feeling it might be something along those lines because it appears as though everything mechanical is running fine. Seriously, any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 05-11-2014, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't see you mentioning the fuel pressure regulator...is that a possibility?

Quick Reply: 4.6L V8 engine stalling once temp stabilizes