2001 ford 5.4 supercrew chugs at idle cold

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 07:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 ford 5.4 supercrew chugs at idle cold

Hello, Im new here and if I posted this in wrong spot im sorry, But here goes,

I have a 2001 ford f150 supercrew all bels and whistle 5.4 4x4. During the summer the truck runs fine. When temperature outside seems to drop the idle process of it seems to be irratice. If I give it gas and go down the highway not a issue in the world with it. But when u get off the gas petal and come to idle it bounces around up down up down and even sometimes dies. Vechile will imeditaly fire back up. I came across codes for misfires and have replaced the coils. I also have replace the upstreams and downstreams oxygen sensors several times now. First time buying a ford pickup and I love it when its running smoothly. I bought it from a ford dealership used didn't know much about it. so after I bought it I was in the big city and took to a big ford dealer and had them check it out they told me that the intank manifold had to be replaced.Keep in mind I bought this truck for 5 grand and nice looking, I spent over 2 grand having this manifold repleaced as they said was reason for chugging, and I didn't want to mess with replacing manifold guess I was lazy. This didn't solve the problem. they told me to bring back and they would check it out but would cost me again, any suggestions? Hints? I know this seems to be only a issue when the weather gets so cold. maybe cause of things contracting and expanding? or maybe something not reading the right thing for the temp of the air? Any help would be very appreciated hate to put 3 more grand in the truck just over it not idling right when cold.

Old 03-11-2014, 02:56 AM
glc
Received 761 Likes on 704 Posts
I would suspect a sticky IAC (idle air controller) and/or a dirty throttle body.

Quick Reply: 2001 ford 5.4 supercrew chugs at idle cold