Advice required for 5.4 3V POS

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice required for 5.4 3V POS

Need advice on my 2005 FX4 with a 5.4 3V POS engine.
Bought the truck used 2 years ago and it had the dreaded cam phaser issue which were replaced last year. Truck seemed to run better afterwards but now the noise is returning and I'm getting PO340 and 344 codes. Engine runs rough at idle, almost stalling. I've been going over numerous threads and changed a lot of parts: CPS, PCM, COPS, plugs, alternator, had wiring checked, VCT solenoids, when the cam phasers were done, the timing chains, guides, tensioners were also changed. Engine runs ok except for the idle.
Oil pressure was also checked and ok.
Any ideas, as I'm almost at the point of scrapping this POS engine. Very frustrated. I also have a 2001 F250 with 2 valves and I have to say the 2V engine is much better.
Anybody have any ideas what I should do next?

Old 02-16-2014, 06:38 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by KH150
Need advice on my 2005 FX4 with a 5.4 3V POS engine.
Bought the truck used 2 years ago and it had the dreaded cam phaser issue which were replaced last year. Truck seemed to run better afterwards but now the noise is returning and I'm getting PO340 and 344 codes. Engine runs rough at idle, almost stalling. I've been going over numerous threads and changed a lot of parts: CPS, PCM, COPS, plugs, alternator, had wiring checked, VCT solenoids, when the cam phasers were done, the timing chains, guides, tensioners were also changed. Engine runs ok except for the idle.
Oil pressure was also checked and ok.
Any ideas, as I'm almost at the point of scrapping this POS engine. Very frustrated. I also have a 2001 F250 with 2 valves and I have to say the 2V engine is much better.
Anybody have any ideas what I should do next?

Hi.

You never mentioned injectors - you need to read this and then go get them checked: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/sd...229_r07m08.pdf

BTW - which plugs and COPs were used?

Another culprit you should be aware of ( may not be the case here, but inspection of same would not hurt) - the FPDM:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/ar...placement.html

good luck

MGD

Old 02-16-2014, 07:04 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
those codes indicate a passenger side cam phaser issue. Start off swapping the phaser solenoid from passenger side to drivers side if the code moves to the drivers side replace the solenoid if it dosent move there is an internal phaser issue. I wouldnt own one of those years unless I got it super cheap. The 2v is a much more reliable engine. For sure.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:21 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Ahhh ... read too fast, lol ... thought those were misfire codes. My bad .... long day, lol.

They are camshaft position sensor codes. Were both changed (assuming the CPS you mentioned was the Crank Positions sensor)?

Moving the VCT solenoids may not help in this case....

good luck

MGD

Old 02-16-2014, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changed the CPS from passenger to driver side, no difference.
Would injectors cause these codes?
Last resort looks like oil passages in heads are plugged up. Don't know what to do with this one. Removing heads on this engine looks like a nightmare after doing the cam phasers, absolutely no space to work, unless I remove the cab.
Geez I miss my old 4.6 Crown Vic

Quick Reply: Advice required for 5.4 3V POS