5.4L 3V Constant Loud Ticking at All RPM's

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4L 3V Constant Loud Ticking at All RPM's

Hello everyone, I am new to this site and looking for some advice.

I have a 2004 F-150 XLT with 5.4L 3V that has about 106,000 miles. Around100,000 miles the truck started making a loud ticking noise at all rpm's that can be heard from inside the house while the vehicle is running in the driveway. The sound seems to be coming from the drivers side cylinder head, but I have noticed the sound is louder when heard from the wheelwell and by the oil pan (not sure if thats an echo effect or what). When the issue first started I was told it might be a loose spark plug. After $100 in plugs, a tool to remove the plugs, and 3 hours of my time the engine still ticked. I went to two different Ford dealers and was told that it is probally the cam phasers. I believe cam phasers is the Variable Cam Timing issue that Ford has a TBD for. The TBD mentions that if the cam phaser are bad, the sound should go away at 1200rpm's. At 1200rpm's my engine still makes a loud ticking noise, it just ticks faster.

Does anyone have any advice. I appreciate your help and comments.

Old 10-15-2009, 07:01 PM
Sounds like a lifter to me. I had the same issue and could not diagnose the problem about 4 months later I put a new egine in and gutted the other to find a broken lifter. Maybe the same????? I could add a qt of oil and it would go away only to find that it would come back about 1/2 qt low. Don't know if it helps

Last edited by osty12; 10-15-2009 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:20 PM
Most likely is the timing chain tensioner(s) have failed causing the chain to cause the noise. Pretty common concern on higher mileage engines. Tensioner has an o ring made onto it to seal the oil. Problem is that the o ring eventually will fail causing oil pressure to bypass the tensioner and cause the chain to slack and slap around the timing cover. Only way to confirm is a mechanic experienced with the concern, or to remove the timing cover. I could tell you exactly what it was if you were a little closer to Virginia and I could listen to it.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the feed back guys. I keep my oil changed with Motorcraft 5W-20 every 3000 miles and make sure the oil level is correct. The noise is there right after the oil change. I had read a few posts that 15W-40 diesel oil may stop the engine ticking, so I gave it a try this last oil change. Engine still ticks. The timing chain is definetly a possibility, but the sound seems to be coming from the center of the head, not the front.

Does anyone have a diagram of the cylinder head components (valvetrain) for this engine? I am thinking I will pull the valve cover and do a visual inspection. Maybe the issue will reveal itself.

Before I do that I will try and get video/audio of the engine running. I am new to this site is it possible to post video?

Old 10-16-2009, 01:24 PM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Put your video on YouTube and post a link.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:57 PM
A broken exhaust manifold stud will sound like a ticking. ///get a mirror with a flex handle and check all of the studs. If you don't see a nut on the end of all of them you probably found the problem.. Fords are famous for this problem.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:49 PM
Could also be a broken spark plug shorting with every cycle. Mine did that before I changed the plugs.

If you are looking to diagnose the manifold problem or even potentially sparkplug short that I suggested you can use an old trick my dad taught me.

Grab a short length of garden hose and put one end to your ear and the other nearest the sound. If its en exhaust leak you will hear it through the hose. Actually you can loacate just about any noise with this method. Also a mechanics stethascope will tell you where the noise is coming from unless its an exhaust leak or arcing spark plug.

Trending Topics

Old 10-19-2009, 03:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heck No!

Originally Posted by spri1167
Thanks for the feed back guys. I keep my oil changed with Motorcraft 5W-20 every 3000 miles and make sure the oil level is correct. The noise is there right after the oil change. I had read a few posts that 15W-40 diesel oil may stop the engine ticking, so I gave it a try this last oil change. Engine still ticks. The timing chain is definetly a possibility, but the sound seems to be coming from the center of the head, not the front.

Does anyone have a diagram of the cylinder head components (valvetrain) for this engine? I am thinking I will pull the valve cover and do a visual inspection. Maybe the issue will reveal itself.

Before I do that I will try and get video/audio of the engine running. I am new to this site is it possible to post video?
Don't use anything other than the factory spec. Heavier weight oils do not properly lubricate the tensioner guides around the timing chain.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ohc

Originally Posted by osty12
Sounds like a lifter to me. I had the same issue and could not diagnose the problem about 4 months later I put a new egine in and gutted the other to find a broken lifter. Maybe the same????? I could add a qt of oil and it would go away only to find that it would come back about 1/2 qt low. Don't know if it helps
These motors are overhead cam motors...no lifters

Old 10-20-2009, 05:37 AM
glc
Received 763 Likes on 706 Posts
Originally Posted by malexander52
These motors are overhead cam motors...no lifters
No lifters per se, but they have hydraulic lash adjusters. If one of those is stuck or collapsed, same thing, you get tapping.

Quick Reply: 5.4L 3V Constant Loud Ticking at All RPM's