WHat's a good Portable Battery Booster?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 12:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JMoreland
Yeah, never heard of anything good from there. I got this one as a gift, just wish it would have lasted longer.

Bring it back. Most stores are VERY good about replacing faulty equipment. Just tell them it was a gift and that you can't find the receipt!

Old 11-24-2008, 12:58 AM
Think they'll still do it considering it is almost a year old?

Old 11-24-2008, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by Fifty150
I'm thinking about putting a couple on top of my cab, and then daisy chaining a few more over the tonneau cover.

Sunforce 50032 15 Watt Solar Battery Charger

Item#: 50032
UPC#: 834319000655

* Works with Automobiles, RV’s, Boats,Tractors, ATVs, Electric Fences, Deer Feeders, Telemetry, and More
* Maintenance Free / Easy Installation
* Works in All Weather Conditions
* Ultra Bright Blue LED Provides Charging Indication
* Built-in Blocking Diode Protects Battery Discharge at Night
* Made of Durable ABS Plastic with an Amorphous Solar Cell
* Temperature Range: -40° to 176° F
* Max Output 15 Watts 1 Amp
I don't know what's down there as an equvilent, but at Canadian tire they have a nice one that goes sits on your dash and plugs into your cigarette lighter, I believe it's 7.5 watts. I've been holding out, but I don't want to wreck a battery I just put in it 8 months ago.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:24 AM

Worth a shot. I know my local store would - and wouldn't even bat an eye. They'd just tell you to go get a new one and have a nice day. They know there stuff is cheap

Old 11-24-2008, 02:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I shop at HF all the time and they are one of the best stores for exchanging stuff that I've dealt with. No questions asked.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blown F-150
I'm thinking I am needing one now too. I have been in LA for the last two weeks on a project and just went to start the truck to take it out for a spin. It went Crank, Crank, Click.

I was thinking about one of those solar panels that go on the dash and plug into the cigarette lighter. anyone have any experience with one?
I use one of those (and yes it is from Harbor Freight) and it works great. I don't use my truck a lot since gas went through the roof (back down now), but i don't have to even think about it. Just plug it in and forget it. They put out enough juice to keep a battery up as long as you don't have shorts or excessive parasitic drains. They keep my battery up fine even if I don't use it for a few weeks (I know because I load test my battery at least every month or two). Also, you don't have to worry about a solar charger messing your battery up (unless it's a solar that's too big to fit on your dash) They should put out just enough to maintain, not charge up. They also will charge on a cloudy day- doesn't have to be sunny. You can tell by how fast the LED light is blinking the rate at which it is charging. It will charge with any light source, even a light bulb.

Old 11-24-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by Blown F-150
I'm thinking I am needing one now too. I have been in LA for the last two weeks on a project and just went to start the truck to take it out for a spin. It went Crank, Crank, Click.

I was thinking about one of those solar panels that go on the dash and plug into the cigarette lighter. anyone have any experience with one?
thats what alot of dealers use. it works great for what there used for. all they do is maintain the charge on a sunny day.

Old 11-24-2008, 05:03 PM
That sounds good. I'm not expecting it to work miracles or anything, bhut it would be great to help off-set the draw on the battery while it sits. I will be installing switches to shut-off all power to my LCD screens and Sattlelite radio. Not sure what to do about the door solenoids, maybe a hidden shut-off switch. something pretty heavy duty. Sorry for the thread jacking and thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: WHat's a good Portable Battery Booster?