5.4L with VCTADV=49 and VCTADV2=0

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2015, 02:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5.4L with VCTADV=49 and VCTADV2=0

Alright I'm still slowly working this p0012 and p0021 fault on my 2005 5.4L Lariat with 175000 miles on it. Finally borrowed a buddies Scanner that read VCT and this is what I get. Can anyone assist? As far as I'm checking they both should be at 0 but I get the VCTADV reading of 49 and the VCTADV2 reading of 0. Looking like a phaser issue to me, I'm just wondering if there is anything else I can check. I did finally dig up the schematics and am about to go check the harness. Original post with oil pressure checks (Average 20psi when hot) is herehttps://www.f150online.com/forums/20...than-most.html

Thanks in advance..................Kwit

Old 10-02-2015, 10:45 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
@KwitcherBitchin;

I must ask, with keen interest, If your buddy knows ar can find out from any source, "WHAT 'PID' number is his scanner reading to get VCTADV and VCTADV2 on a 2005 5.4L Ford?"
I am not trying to be a smart ***. But I have reason to doubt those readings, specifically because I do not believe those two "Parameter IDs" are available on the IDS (Ford's Integrated Diagnostics System) for the 5.4L. And, of course, reliance on incorrect data could send you off on a wild goose chase.

I don't propose to have an answer to your DTC, but may have developed some possibly useful knowledge about it (as I am able to create a P0022 code at will on my 2004 5.4L). I have spent enough time 'hacking' on my OBDII system to have gotten a useful college degree of some kind (lol), and have come up with about 217 available Mode '02' PID's the ECU produces on our engines. And while VCTADV and VCTADV2 seem to be available for SOME VEHICLE MODELS, I cannot find them among those available on 5.4L. Believe me, they would be so valuable if they are - I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW WHAT THE PID #'s. I would be able to build extreemly useful diagnostic screens for the Torque Pro app.
To my knowledge - there are only 5 available on our ECU as follows:

1) VCTENA - Conditions correct for Variable Valve Timing operation.
2) RCAM - Requested Cam Retard º (in crankshaft degrees)
3) CAMDCR Commanded Duty Cycle for VCT Solenoid (in % duty cycle) (?? 1 common one for both Banks???)
4) CAMERRR VCT CAM Error º (in Crankshaft Degrees) (?? 1 common one for both Banks???) [[ Will periodically bounce up to 80 to 100º - in response to quick/rapid changes in RCAM -and- Reads plus or minus degrees that cams are OUT of sync with requested retard - this parameter "leads to" cam position DTC codes (P0011, P0012, P0021, and P0022, if I fluctuate the throttle wildly in second gear about 40-50mph).
5) CMPFM - Camshaft Position Sensor Fault Mode. (?? 1 common one for both Banks???) Appears to be mostly electrical integrety fault - but this flag will come on if either Position sensor is unpluged. I suppose its reading is TRUSTED as gospel in determining CAMERRR or whether the cams are reacting properly to requested cam retard.
Here is a link to a Question that I have NEVER been able to answer. https://www.f150online.com/forums/v8...ml#post5149208 If you like, I can provide the PID numbers to try in your buddy's scanner.

YOUR OIL PRESSURE QUESTION: Too many owners get overly excited about Idle Oil Pressure. The VVT System is not even enabled until RPMs exceed 800 RPM and engine load exceeds 25%. When not enabled - the VCT Solenoids are CLOSED COMPLETELY - (0% duty cycle - just like they are unplugged) - and the Phaser springs along with all available upper end oil pressure should have the phasers pushed to full advance position AND the locking pin should have them LOCKED (if it's not sheered or broken). It is supposed to take 25lbs Oil pressure to push the locking pin back and UNLOCK phasers. That will DEFINATELY occur by 800 RPMs. Mine (with 207k miles) will reach 45lbs by 800 rpm.

Again, I'm not suggesting you DO not have some problem in the Phaser on Bank 1. Just that I've seen the PIDs you mention associated with OTHER vehicles, but can't find any corresponding thing for the 5.4L. (and I would love to know if they are there somewhere - I will incorporate them in my TORQUE screens AND SHARE THEM WITH EVERYONE!

------ Tried to upload a photo of my Torque Pro dashboard showing these IDS items, but the damn photo thingy don't work! If you want, PM me and I'll send them.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:44 AM
Torqued,
The scanner is a Snap-on Solus Pro that he received from a trade, he's still getting familiar with it himself. I just borrowed it to play once I seen the VCT readings.

Below is what I get from the Driveability Screen, unsure the PID # though
VCTADV 49
VCTADV2 0
VCTADVERR -49
VCTADVERR2 45
VCTDC 0
VCTDC2 0
VCTSYS OL

So far, I have swapped VCT solenoids (both new), cleaned the valve bodies with seafoam and compessed air, swapped Position Sensors with no luck.

I did notice my Oil Pressure actually went down to 15 PSI at Hot idle and at 2000rpm was only at 50-55 psi. I am currently thinking about throwing in some heavier weight oil just to try out. Yea, I know it's not recommended and "frowned upon".

Thanks for any suggestions and input. I'll try to get the PID number for ya.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:06 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool I stand corrected

@KwitcherBitchin

Concerning VCTADV, VCTADV2 and their corresponding two errors, I had previously stated "I do not believe those two 'Parameter IDs' are available on the IDS (Ford's Integrated Diagnostics System) for the 5.4L."

I recently found reference to them in my Ford Factory Service Manual, - so I stand corrected -. But I would still LOVE to know what their respective PIDs are so I can program them into my Torque Pro extended PID table and create gauges for them!!!!

I am going to PM you some info that might be helpful to you as well.

Thanks.

Old 07-12-2019, 03:32 PM
Solved?

Did you ever solve the issue? I'm currently having the exact same problem and can't seem to get this right

Old 07-27-2019, 04:51 AM
An automotive diagnostic scanner is an essential tool for modern vehicles as they provide instant feedback to assist with fixing or modifying your car. Below is a list of theOBD2 scanners for car diagnostics that are suitable for professionals and average car owners. Autel is a large car diagnostic brand that produces scanners suitable for professional mechanics to home mechanics. The Autel Maxisys Pro MS908 OBD2 scanner is their flagship modeland by far the best professional automotive diagnostic scanner available. It goes a lot further in terms of functionality than just reading codes.

In terms of the technical specification, this car diagnostic tool really is quite special. It has an A9 Quad-Core 1.40GHz processor that uses an Android operating device, which is really easy to use. It also has built-in WiFi, 5MP camera, flashlight, 8-hour battery life, 32GB SSD hard drive and a 9.7 inch LED touch screen.

Quick Reply: 5.4L with VCTADV=49 and VCTADV2=0