'04 engine ticking?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'04 engine ticking?

Hi everybody,

My 2004 FX4 5.4L 3V has been ticking like crazy in the morning. Granted, it's the middle of Chicago winter and the temp gauge said 2 degrees this morning, but this thing sounds like a diesel for the first 5-6 minutes starting up. Is this normal? I am familiart with the piston slap issue with the 5.4's, but I thought this was a problem with the previous models....has anyone been experiencing this with the new 3V heads? Thanks for the help.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mile64
Hi everybody,

My 2004 FX4 5.4L 3V has been ticking like crazy in the morning. Granted, it's the middle of Chicago winter and the temp gauge said 2 degrees this morning, but this thing sounds like a diesel for the first 5-6 minutes starting up. Is this normal? I am familiart with the piston slap issue with the 5.4's, but I thought this was a problem with the previous models....has anyone been experiencing this with the new 3V heads? Thanks for the help.

There is a tsb out for this...it anywhere from injectors to cam phaser. Search around and you will find it here. It explains how to diagnose.

Quick Reply: '04 engine ticking?