how to adjust belt tension with idler pulley

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 10:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to adjust belt tension with idler pulley

Hi all. I did a search on the forums for this but didn't see an answer. I recently had a shift kit installed in my transmission ('01 SCrew) and now when I'm accelerating hard and the transmission shifts, my serpentine belt slips and makes a squealing sound for a second. It actually already did that on the 1-->2 shift when I was really getting on it hard before the shift kit. It's just worse now. Anyone have good instructions on how to adjust the tension on the belt with the idler pulley? Looks like 3 bolts hold the arm in place, but how do I move the idler pulley arm effectively to slightly increase the belt tension? I tried the belt dressing spray but it didn't help. I'd like to at least try to slightly increase the tension on the existing belt before I decide the belt needs to be replaced. 92,000 on the engine, but the belt looks to be in very good shape. Thanks in advance for input.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:05 AM
It is self adjusting. Time for a new belt. If the spring has failed you will need to replace the tensioner.
It is fairly common to have some belt slip on these trucks with WOT shifts.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
no way to adjust . the spring just wears out. time for a new tensioner.

Old 01-29-2007, 02:01 PM
go buy a new Gatorback belt, and all your belt squeeling will dissapear!

Old 01-29-2007, 09:44 PM
belt may look alright and still be defective. cheapest thing is to replace the belt. if this doesn't fix it, who really cares? its really just an annoyance that you have to get over. i know i have.

Old 01-30-2007, 12:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just replace the belt with a Gatorback and all your problems will disappear.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Follow-up

Hey guys, I went to Advance Auto parts to get one of the Gatorback belts since I saw they had them available at their online store but they told me they don't carry them and that I could only order them online. So I did. Just got the belt last Thursday and just got around to putting it on this morning. I was able to swap the old belt out with the new one in literally less than 15 minutes. I just got back from driving the truck around probably about 100 miles or so (looking for a place to move to that's more out in the country than where I am now) and I got on it pretty hard several times. Not one single squeak/squeal from the belt. Man, now THAT sounds a lot better. Makes me much happier with the shift kit since I don't get the belt squeal every 1-->2 and 2-->3 shift. Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply: how to adjust belt tension with idler pulley