cranking issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 11:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cranking issue

I just bought a nice well kept up 2001 supercrew lariat last monday.The few days before i bought it, the ford dealership let me keep it for the day, The next day i go to take it back and i turn the key and i just get a knock sound from under the hood.It almost sounds like its in the dash up against the firewall. Ford comes and gets it and says its the starter and they replace it. 4 days later im stranded once again luckly at my home, same knock sound when i turn my key. This seems to happen when it gets really cold as the last time it happend it got below 15 degrees. Well tonight its about 0 out and im wondering if the cold weather could affect anything.IM going to call ford first thing in the Am and have them deal with it. I just hope i dont have to deal with an indicisive truck who decides to crank when it wants to.One other problem i encountered on the way home from a 50 mile drive after having my radio installed at best buy.I was trying to pass a car coming up a hill and when it down shifted it literally felt like ther was no pick up but the rpms jumped 2k. First thought was wow now the tranny is slipping. I take my exit off interstate and bring it to a complete stop and try a speedy take off and once again the rpms shot up but it felt like i was barly moving and then it sorta picked up speed really quick a few seconds later. I also felt more of a jolt when it down shifted as well which i never felt this past week while driving it. Before i bought it I made sure I punched it alot and it felt so much better than my past 98 F-150 which i just totaled 2 weeks ago.The old one had a manifold leak from the famous rusted broken bolt. The new one is sealed nicly and im thinking i really got to finally feel the power of the 5.4 as the old one probably lost alot of back pressure from the leak.Lastly, after i took it home the first day i noticed while idleing the fan under the hood would tend to speed up and slow down alot within a short amount of time. According to the rpm gauge it was idling fine at about 800 but the fan and the engine both sounded like as if it was idling up and down a few 100 rpm. Could a possible unhooked vaccum line cause this? There was also a faint whine noice coming from that area also but im guessing thats ford powersterring pump. All i know is im highly upset after spending 16000 4 days ago and now im experiencing all this. Ford gave me a one month warrenty and i swear there going to get this truck running like it supposed to.I appreciate anyones input.I think you guys are the biggest help ever..mark

Old 01-25-2007, 11:49 PM
Looking forward to hearing from anyone one these subject.Thanks you guys have always been great at giving out the best information.

Old 01-26-2007, 07:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The starting problem is likely one of four things: Starter (already been replaced), solenoid (but it's the clicking noise), the starter cable (they tend to corrode up inside the insulation at the starter end) or the battery (cold=dead). I'd be looking at the last two. It could be either.

As for the shifting, I can't really help you there. It could be a shifting issue, could be a trans issue, or it could be completely normal. It's tough to tell by your description.

Good luck!

Old 01-26-2007, 01:27 PM
Ford towed it to thier shop today and fessed up and said they put a used starter on it and maby that could be the problem, as for the other things they will check it all out.

Old 01-26-2007, 04:44 PM
Well when they put the starter on they may have (Hopefully) dico'd the batt. That resets the PCM which in turn causes some really weird stuff with the tranny for a few drives.

With in your warranty period I would take it to a tranny shop and have them check it out and if anything is amiss get it in writting and march right back to ford.

good luck that is a nice truck!

Old 01-26-2007, 05:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like your starter is engaging with the flywheel (making the knocking sound) but there is not enough battery power to turn over the engine. Sounds like a weak battery especially in colder weather. Bad connections or rusted out cables would do the same thing.

Quick Reply: cranking issue